Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lottidah
    • Dec 2004

Member complains about post order since upgrade

Good morning. I recently migrated our very old forum from 3.8.8 to 5.4.1. We have some members who are a bit older who are not adjusting well. But one complaint I'd like to understand and resolve is as follows:

When the user posts, he says "it should go to the top of thread". Was there some setting in 3.8 that allowed users to view threads differently than the default? He seems to expect it to display with the most recent comment on top within the discussion, which I have never seen. Is there a similar setting in 5.4.1?

Thank you for any help.
  • lottidah
    • Dec 2004

On a related note, what does this setting in Account Settings do? If nothing is selected (which seems to be the default), what is the behavior? If Posts is selected, what is the behavior? And if Latest Activity is selected, what is the behavior? Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ss.png
Views:	45
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	4392439

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

There was a setting to reverse the display order in vB3 and vB4. This was removed in vB5 as it was hardly used. Forums display content with the newest post at the end and vB5 is designed that way. Custom coding would be required to change this.

The setting you refer to will display threads in an activity stream view, which will partly give you what you want, in that the order is reversed. However the first post will always show at the top regardless. Also in the stream view you lose many of the post controls as this is a different view to the normal one.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• lottidah
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mark.B
        There was a setting to reverse the display order in vB3 and vB4. This was removed in vB5 as it was hardly used. Forums display content with the newest post at the end and vB5 is designed that way. Custom coding would be required to change this.

The setting you refer to will display threads in an activity stream view, which will partly give you what you want, in that the order is reversed. However the first post will always show at the top regardless. Also in the stream view you lose many of the post controls as this is a different view to the normal one.
        That explains it. Thank you much!

Comment