X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dannycsz
    • Sep 2010

delete private message error

as an admin, i want to delete private messages in sent folder. when i select the message to delete, it gives me an error.

happens to several messages returning the same error message invalid data.(invalid_data)
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Find the same message in your Inbox and delete it from there. The Sent folder is a holdover from vBulletin 4.X. However since all private messages are actually threaded topics now, they can be managed from the Inbox.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dannycsz
      • Sep 2010

it is not inside the inbox.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Find the same message in your Inbox and delete it from there. The Sent folder is a holdover from vBulletin 4.X. However since all private messages are actually threaded topics now, they can be managed from the Inbox.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Then you can't delete it at this time.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dannycsz
          • Sep 2010

then how can i delete in future? looks like it is a lost child or something. i got quite a number of such topics

Then you can't delete it at this time.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

The only way to delete private messages at this time is from the Inbox.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dannycsz
              • Sep 2010

thank you. is this an issue that the technical team is looking into?

the issue came about only after upgrade from vb4 to vb5.

in vb4, those threads are deleted from the inbox and there are no threads in the sent folder. after upgrade, all these threads came back.

before upgrade, i had like 50 threads in the sent folder. after upgrade, i have like 200 pages of 10 threads in each page.

The only way to delete private messages at this time is from the Inbox.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

They weren't really deleted in vBulletin 4. They were just made invisible to you. All parties involved have to delete the Private Message for it to be deleted in vBulletin 4. vBulletin 5 uses a different paradigm where Private Messages are no different than topics in a forum. They contain replies just like topics in a forum. As such the proper visual was rebuilt when converting vBulletin 4's data.

There is an open bug report with developers on this issue. However, it isn't considered a priority for resolving at this time. In reality, the user interface needs to be updated to reflect the new paradigm of Private Messages and vBulletin Messenger's chat functionality built on top of them.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dannycsz
                  • Sep 2010

thanks for explaining and it is like using the delete key to delete the files in the trash vs rm *.* in the trash.

i do understand that the paradigm is different. however, by not handling such an issue, it indirectly creates alot of issues for both administrators and users because suddenly all the messages that were believe to be delete are now back. this has no doubt causes the database size to increase which causes more time to port databases etc.

this seems to occur primarily for private messages that involves more than 1 user which means the parent node has been deleted by another user leaving the child node orphaned as the child cannot find the parent.

i do understand that certain bugs takes priority over others. as a consumer of the product, i do understand that if it is not fixed in 5.1, however it is now 5.4.1 which means 3 iterations have gone through and it has been more than 1 year since vb5 was first launched.

as the team is working on the bug (hopefully) is there any quick fix solution involving sql statements which can be run on the database to fix? i am open to the technical team having access to the database to find a solution.

They weren't really deleted in vBulletin 4. They were just made invisible to you. All parties involved have to delete the Private Message for it to be deleted in vBulletin 4. vBulletin 5 uses a different paradigm where Private Messages are no different than topics in a forum. They contain replies just like topics in a forum. As such the proper visual was rebuilt when converting vBulletin 4's data.

There is an open bug report with developers on this issue. However, it isn't considered a priority for resolving at this time. In reality, the user interface needs to be updated to reflect the new paradigm of Private Messages and vBulletin Messenger's chat functionality built on top of them.

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

There is no quick fix, sorry...

At this time the bug is not being worked on. Every bug is a major issue for somebody, but equally every bug has to be prioritised. It will eventually work its way up the priority list.
                    In truth, in the grand scheme of things it's not a major problem. Extra messages in the database won't make much of a difference to its size. I would imagine the most likely fix anyway would be to remove the sent items folder from displaying. It's simply obsolete, as Wayne has outlined.

I will try and find the bug report later so we can see where it is.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• paknakal
                      • Feb 2019

Because I'm dealing with this issue also (and I made a recent post here in the Forum).

So user A creates and sends a PM to user B. A is the PM Thread originator. The PM Thread is in A's Sent Folder and in B's Inbox Folder. Given the 'new paradigm' for PMs in vBulletin 5, how is user A supposed to delete the PM he sent? Unless I'm just not understanding, it seems to me that no one would be able to delete there own created/sent PMs. What am I missing? 😕

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Aug 2002
                        • 5.7.X

This is a 3.5 year old topic referencing a version of vBulletin that has had hundreds of fixes applied since. You have an existing topic open for this, please don't bump old, out of date topics when you already have one that's current.
                        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment