• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plongeur.com
    • Mar 2017
    • 5.2.x

GPDR Support

Hi,

I see in the tracker that a lot of work is going on to support GDPR for vbulletin.
    Will GPDR be supported also for "download" client or i it only for vbcloud ?

I really hope that it will be available for us self hosted guys
    Last edited by plongeur.com; Tue 22 May '18, 3:53am.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by plongeur.com
    Hi,

I see in the tracker that a lot of work is going on to support GPDR for vbulletin.
    Will GPDR be supported also for "download" client or i it only for vbcloud ?

I really hope that it will be available for us self hosted guys
    vB5 is actually the same product whether Cloud or Download, so any changes will be in both.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• plongeur.com
      • Mar 2017
      • 5.2.x

OK, this is great news

I asked this because from what i read on the tracker it seems that you plan to call a js hosted on vbulletin for the geoloc so i wonder.
      It would be nice for some sites to be able to just apply GPDR to everyone and skip the geoloc, as it would probably be faster. I have more than 90% of my users from UE so i would typically bypass the geoloc .

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

OK, this is great news

I asked this because from what i read on the tracker it seems that you plan to call a js hosted on vbulletin for the geoloc so i wonder.
        It would be nice for some sites to be able to just apply GPDR to everyone and skip the geoloc, as it would probably be faster. I have more than 90% of my users from UE so i would typically bypass the geoloc .
        I'm not sure if that will be an option. It would be worth adding your comments into the tracker entry.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

You would get your own GEO Location API key for your site. You won't be talking to the vBulletin servers on a downloaded copy. The API is here: https://ipstack.com/

Currently the options are:
          • Require GDPR Consent for EU Resident Guests
          • Require GDPR Consent for Registered EU Residents
          • Automatic Deletion (if they withdraw consent)
          • GEOLOC API Key
          Development is ongoing.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• plongeur.com
            • Mar 2017
            • 5.2.x

As i said, it would be nice to be able to bypass the geoloc and requira GDPR for all users.

This might come handy if for some reason ipstack stops their service or change their free offer.
            Also 10 000 requests/month is quite low, i don't think i have one the biggest forum here and i already have 60 000 users/month.

I added a comment in the tracker.

Comment

• webgeek247
              • Mar 2006
              • 5.7.X

How come this is not already completed? This started in 2016. 25th May is just a few days away...
              Web Hosting Forum | Fastest Hosting | Backup Storage

Comment

• In Omnibus
                In Omnibus commented
                Editing a comment
                How come you don't look at the Tracker to see that it's a major issue with 13 sub-issues and that the lead developer has been working on it for three weeks?

• Wayne Luke
                Wayne Luke commented
                Editing a comment
                Because we were not able to start working on it until it had approval from the corporate legal department and everyone was trained in the issue. We're working on it as quickly as possible.

• webgeek247
                webgeek247 commented
                Editing a comment
                In Omnibus. I would have expected to receive some information via email about the progress on it not for me to go check a bug tracker. Seems they are on it now though so all is good. Thank you for your reply Wayne Luke

I added a vote for it.
            • Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

As i said, it would be nice to be able to bypass the geoloc and requira GDPR for all users.

This might come handy if for some reason ipstack stops their service or change their free offer.
              I spoke to the developers about this yesterday. What you want is actually how the system is designed. If you do not choose a Geolocation service, the chosen service is unavailable for some reason, or no location is available then the system will request GDPR consent for all users.

It was originally planned to make the choice of Geolocation service an option. There is actually a setting for this now but since there was only one service, at the moment, it was hidden. We'll add a "None" option to the setting and if you choose None, then all users will be asked to comply regardless of their actual location.

Also 10 000 requests/month is quite low, i don't think i have one the biggest forum here and i already have 60 000 users/month.
              After the initial rush of gathering compliance, you would only be using this service for new users as they visit your site. If you don't allow guests to post or leave personally identifying information on your site, then you shouldn't need compliance from them.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• plongeur.com
                • Mar 2017
                • 5.2.x

This is great, thanks a lot.

Of course if I don't collect consent for guests the limit is more than enough

Comment

• webgeek247
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 5.7.X

Any idea when this will be completed? Supposed to be compliant before 25th not after! WHMCS released an update for GDPR compliance a long time ago just for example.

I tried the upgrading to latest version of vBulletin to see if any GDPR features were there but nothing yet. I was going to Prune all users with less than 1 post and had not logged in for 1000 days but the feature does not work. I am not sure whether it is broke in 5.4.1 or 5.4.2 Release Candidate 1 ?

Comment

• In Omnibus
                    In Omnibus commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You only have to delete data if an individual user specifically requests it and there are even exceptions to that. Deleting thousands of users is a complete overreaction. If you're that concerned about it put a link to your "Data Collection Policy" in the site footer and include an e-mail contact for anyone who wants their data erased. You will likely get very few requests to have data erased. The EU cares a lot more about this than the average internet user.
                • webgeek247
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 5.7.X

Originally posted by webgeek247
                  Any idea when this will be completed? Supposed to be compliant before 25th not after! WHMCS released an update for GDPR compliance a long time ago just for example.

I tried the upgrading to latest version of vBulletin to see if any GDPR features were there but nothing yet. I was going to Prune all users with less than 1 post and had not logged in for 1000 days but the feature does not work. I am not sure whether it is broke in 5.4.1 or 5.4.2 Release Candidate 1 ?
                  When try to Prune get

Please Complete All Required Fields
                  Even though they are selected? I see vBulletin is running 5.4.2 Release Candidate 1 so they can check the same?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by webgeek247

When try to Prune get
                    Even though they are selected? I see vBulletin is running 5.4.2 Release Candidate 1 so they can check the same?
                    All fields are required, even the "Join Before Date"

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• webgeek247
                      • Mar 2006
                      • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

All fields are required, even the "Join Before Date"
                      I entered everything correctly as seen in attachment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	152
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	4394659

When click "Find" it redirects to the next page and shows over 1000 accounts without any posts which are ready to be pruned but when I click Action: Delete and click "Go" it then shows

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Did you select users on the 1000 user list? You have to select them by checking the box on their row.

There is also a box in the header that selects them all.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• webgeek247
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          Did you select users on the 1000 user list? You have to select them by checking the box on their row.

There is also a box in the header that selects them all.
                          Yes, I selected all of them.

Comment