• 5.1.x

Site Keeps Dropping Offline - Host Can't Figure Out Problem

1. vBulletin Version - 5.4.1
    2. PHP Version - 7.0.30
    3. MySQL Version - 5.0.12
    4. Any Addons installed - Tapatalk
    5. Does the issue occur in a default style? - Yes
    6. Does the issue occur using the English language provided? - Yes
    7. Error message on the screen - 404 (Site will not load when the issue occurs. Site may stay down for 10 - 90 minutes at a time before coming back online.)
    8. Browser and Browser version used - Various
    9. Did you clear the browser cache and did the error continue? - Yes
    10. A list of steps that can be used to recreate the issue. - Issue occurs randomly, 5 to 15 times per day.
    11. If the issue is an Invalid Server response, the web server and PHP logs that correspond with its timestamp.
    Wondering if anyone can help figure out what's happening with my site. I have been fighting an issue where my site goes offline for 10 to 90+ minutes at a time, and I (along with my host) can't figure out what is causing it. The site will display a 404, and after some time, it will work fine again. I have been working with my host (URLJet) for over a month on this, and I am ready to switch hosts over this issue. Can anyone shed any light on what might be happening, ways to track down the cause, or any other information that I can provide to my host to help determine what's causing the issue?

The issue started happening about a month ago, and the instances have been becoming more frequent as time goes on. My site traffic increases dramatically in the summertime, so that likely has something to do with it.

The site in question is https://www.planetnautique.com.
  • NautiqueJeff
    • Jan 2010
    • 5.1.x

Here are some server activity charts where you can clearly see when the site is offline. The database traffic drops to zero. Actually, I think each time the memory drops to zero represents an occurrence of the issue, but sometimes the site comes back very quickly. When the database traffic is zero, the site is definitely down, and for a long time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	charts.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	4391763

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

There isn't really anything we can tell you based on the information provided. All it really tells us is that site goes down. At the very least we'd need to see what the server logs show at the time it's offline.

However, realistically there isn't much we can do. It's a server issue, not a software issue, and the best people to assist you would be your hosts, as they manage your server.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• NautiqueJeff
        • Jan 2010
        • 5.1.x

Yep, that's just what I have been telling them, but they insisted I look for answers here.

Any recommendations for a great vBulletin host? After several years with URLJet with very few issues, this one is something that I just cannot accept. Who is the very best host out there for people who run vBulletin?

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

We can't provide any official host recommendations but if you have a look through the hosting forum customers post their own testimonials in there.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

What are the errors you are receiving when the database traffic drops?
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• NautiqueJeff
              • Jan 2010
              • 5.1.x

Here are a few of the e-mail alerts I get. I don't get error e-mails every time the site drops though.

Database error in vBulletin 5.4.1:

Invalid SQL:
              SELECT * FROM cache
              WHERE `cacheid` IN ('vBAtchmnts_19');

MySQL Error : MySQL server has gone away
              Error Number : 2006
              Request Date : Thursday, May 17th 2018 @ 05:03:43 PM
              Error Date : Thursday, May 17th 2018 @ 05:03:43 PM
              Script : https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/f...non-fb-members
              Referrer :
              IP Address : 95.216.14.251
              Username : Guest
              Classname : vB_Database_MySQLi
              MySQL Version :

Database error in vBulletin 5.4.1:

Invalid SQL:
              UPDATE session SET `lastactivity`=1526454317,`styleid`=6,`languageid`=1
              WHERE (`sessionhash` = 'c43406133cf70c56a1235667f9e8630c')
              /**session**/;

MySQL Error : Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction
              Error Number : 1205
              Request Date : Wednesday, May 16th 2018 @ 12:05:17 AM
              Error Date : Wednesday, May 16th 2018 @ 12:06:08 AM
              Script : https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/chat/loadheaderdata
              Referrer : https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/f...-nautiqueskins
              IP Address : 129.9.75.190
              Username : jsmp
              Classname : vB_Database_MySQLi
              MySQL Version :

Comment

• In Omnibus
                • Apr 2010

Your MySQL version is way out of date. 5.0.12? You should be using version 5.5.8 or later.

You should also be using PHP 7.1 or later. Version 7.0 is known to have issues.

I'd start there.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

The minimum supported version of MySQL is currently 5.5.8. We're looking to update this to 5.7.X in the future to take advantage of additional functionality.

Follow these steps:
                  1. Make sure you are using up to date software. Apache 2.4.3X, PHP 7.2.X, MySQL 5.7 or MariaDB 10.2.X. MySQL 8.0.X will work but can require additional configuration to work with current versions of PHP.
                  2. Make sure that MySQL's wait_timeout value is set to 120 seconds or more. The default is 86400 seconds (1 day).
                  3. Make sure that MySQL's lock_wait_timeout value is set to 300 seconds or more. The default is 31536000 seconds (1 year).
                  4. Make sure that MySQL's max_packet_size value is set to at least 8MB. The default in older versions is 1 MB but this has been changed in later versions. I believe the default in MySQL 7.X is 4 MB. In MySQL 8.0.11, the default value is 64 MB.
                  5. Make sure that all tables except the language and phrase table are using INNODB. The language and phrase tables should be MyISAM for best compatibility.
                  6. Move attachments out of the database and into the file system. In the AdminCP go to Attachments -> Attachment Storage Type and follow the instructions on the screen.
                  7. Move avatars out of the database and into the file system. In the AdminCP go to Avatars -> User Picture Storage Type and follow the instructions on the screen.
                  8. Move CSS and SVG out of the database and into the file system. You can do this under Settings -> Options -> Style and Language Settings.
                  9. Run these queries:
                    Code:
                    	truncate table cache;
                    	truncate table cacheevent;
                    	truncate table searchlog;
                  10. Ask your host how to access Memcached on the server. You configure this in the /core/includes/config.php (see below).
                  11. Set Cache Class 0 to use memcached in the config.php file.
                  12. Set the datastore prefix to something unique in the /cores/includes/config.php file. The more random and unique, the better this value is. Uncomment the line below and set the value:
                    Code:
                    	// $config['Datastore']['prefix'] = '';

To configure Memcached, you need to uncomment the following code in the /core/includes/config.php file:
                  Code:
                  /*
                  $config['Datastore']['class'] = 'vB_Datastore_Memcached';
                  $i = 0;
                  // First Server
                  $i++;
                  $config['Misc']['memcacheserver'][$i]        = '127.0.0.1';
                  $config['Misc']['memcacheport'][$i]            = 11211;
                  $config['Misc']['memcachepersistent'][$i]    = true;
                  $config['Misc']['memcacheweight'][$i]        = 1;
                  $config['Misc']['memcachetimeout'][$i]        = 1;
                  $config['Misc']['memcacheretry_interval'][$i] = 15;
                  */
                  Remove the leading /* and trailing */ to uncomment it. Once it is uncommented, change the values to point to the memcached server provided by your hosting company.

Set a unique memcache prefix in the line under this. This can be the same prefix as the datastore prefix.
                  Code:
                  $config['Cache']['memcacheprefix'] = '';
                  Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 22 May '18, 9:16am.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment