Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenKay
    • Apr 2003

Any way to disable the "SEE MORE" functionality of Announcements

... so that the full announcement is displayed? It's annoying when one or two words are being cutoff by this.

I already tried Notifications but it seems you are unable to post a notification on the HOME page (default Forums Activity Page).

Thanks,
    - Stephen
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

There is no way to disable the collapse. Use Notices instead. They don't collapse and appear under the breadcrumb on pages.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• StephenKay
      • Apr 2003

Can you please tell me how to post a notice that appears on the "home" page only (the Forums Activity page)? This option is not available in the "user is browsing channel" drop down. If you target "Forums", it will display once you click in a forum and go down a level (i.e. breadcrumbs Home > Forum. But it will not display on the top level home/forums activity page.

The only way I have been able to make a notice appear on this page is to do a global notice on all pages. Which is not what I need.

Comment

• Mrs.T
        • Nov 2007
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by StephenKay
        Can you please tell me how to post a notice that appears on the "home" page only (the Forums Activity page)?
        I don't think you can, notices and announcements is something I've being playing around with.

It would also be good to have the preview option to see what it looks like before going live. At the moment you have to post it, check it and then delete/edit it if it's gone wrong, which my html sometimes does.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          Wayne Luke commented
          Editing a comment
          I use a text editor called "Visual Studio Code" by Microsoft. It runs on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. It allows me to install an extension to preview HTML right in the editor. It is also free.

Visual Studio Code is a code editor redefined and optimized for building and debugging modern web and cloud applications.  Visual Studio Code is free and available on your favorite platform - Linux, macOS, and Windows.

To install the extension, click on the Extensions icon in the side menu of the editor and type HTML Preview in the search box. It will be the first result in the list.

You can also preview by setting the options so that it shows to Administrators only while editing the notice.
      • Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

You can hide it via CSS.
        1. Look in your Notices list and hover over the notice you want to restrict. In the status bar it should show a URL that ends in noticeid=X. You'll need the X value for the next step.
        2. Edit your css_additional.css template (Style -> CSS Editor in Site Builder) and add this code:
          Code:
          	.notice[data-notice-id="X"] {display:none;}
          	.page1 .notice[data-notice-id="X"] {display:block;}
        3. Replace the X with the value you obtained above.
        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 18 May '18, 9:54am.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mrs.T
          • Nov 2007
          • 6.0.X

Thanks Wayne, great ideas there

Comment

• StephenKay
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            You can hide it via CSS.
            Code:
            .notice[data-notice-id="X"] {display:none;}
            .page1 .notice[data-notice-id="X"] {display:block;}
            That does work, thank you! I didn't think of hiding it on all pages, then overriding that to display it on the one page.

But why does "Home" not appear as a channel option in the drop down for Notices?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

The Home channel doesn't have an actual page to be displayed in. The default home page is not the Home channel.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• StephenKay
                • Apr 2003

I’’’’m not trying to be a problem, but I’’’m not sure why you can attach an Announcement to the Forum Activity page by selecting the Home Channel in the Announcement manager, but you can’’’t do the same or similar with a Notice.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by StephenKay
                  I’’’’m not trying to be a problem, but I’’’m not sure why you can attach an Announcement to the Forum Activity page by selecting the Home Channel in the Announcement manager, but you can’’’t do the same or similar with a Notice.
                  Notices and announcements are actually very different pieces of functionality. Prior to vB5 an announcement looked more like a thread. In vB5 they were tweaked to appear in a more eye catching way, which has actually made them look similar to notices. They are however completely different underneath.

Announcements were always forum based in vB4 and vB3, where the concept of 'channels' didn't really exist.

There are tracker entries open to have the functionalities merged.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• StephenKay
                    StephenKay commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks - I hope that if you do merge them you will add the ability to target the Forums Activity Page (home) with a notice without having to resort to CSS trickery.
                • Actron
                  • Mar 2018
                  • 5.3.x

You can hide the "SEE MORE" link with:
                  Code:
                  a.see-link.more {
                      display: none;
                  }
                  in the additional css.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    Wayne Luke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He wants to show the entire content of the announcement, not hide the link.

• Actron
                    Actron commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry my fault....