X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadpool809
    • Apr 2018
    • 5.3.x

Article posters unable to edit drafts.

Running the latest version, I have found an interesting permissions problem - was hoping you could help.

My contributors posting Articles are able to edit their articles once they are published. However, if they save it as a draft - they are no longer able to edit. I have scoured the Channel and Usergroup permissions, and I can't find one that will allow them to edit their own drafts.

Is there one I am missing?

Thanks!
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

There shouldn't be a permission for this. However, "drafts" are similar to moderated/unapproved content and users don't normally have access to content with this flag. It appears to be an oversight. We're making changes to allow users to view their own content even if it is moderated. I will bring up this scenario to see if it is covered.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• deadpool809
      • Apr 2018
      • 5.3.x

Thanks. That would be appreciated.

I think I can trust the people I have writing articles on my site, but following the doctrine of least privilege - I'd rather not give them the ability to edit anyone's posts in the Articles channel. I have it set that way for now, but if a better option becomes available....

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

What people are those with the editing issue in?

If you put them in the CMS Editor usergroup, they should be able to perform this task. Removing the "Can Edit Other's Content" permission from this group should prevent them from editing content they don't own.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• deadpool809
          • Apr 2018
          • 5.3.x

I put them in a custom "Contributors" usergroup, which is the CMS Author usergroup with some added permissions.

I already tested putting them in the CMS Editor usergroup, but the default permissions of that group (at least, on my installation) doesn't even allow them to see the Articles Channel. I have no idea why not.

Comment

• deadpool809
            • Apr 2018
            • 5.3.x

To be more specific, anyone I put into that usergroup sees the following message:

"Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page.
            Please try logging in or logging in as different user Login or send a message to the admin"

Checking the channel permissions, they are set to be able to view the channel, so I don't know what causes that.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

I've discussed it with a developer and this is how the system was designed to work. Currently to provide the functionality you want to provide, they must be in the "CMS Publisher" usergroup.

I consider this to be a bad design. It needs to be corrected. Functionality should not be hard coded to any usergroup. I have create a bug report on the issue:

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by deadpool809
                To be more specific, anyone I put into that usergroup sees the following message:

"Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page.
                Please try logging in or logging in as different user Login or send a message to the admin"

Checking the channel permissions, they are set to be able to view the channel, so I don't know what causes that.
                They need to be able to see every channel that is a parent of the specific channel as well.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• deadpool809
                  • Apr 2018
                  • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  I've discussed it with a developer and this is how the system was designed to work. Currently to provide the functionality you want to provide, they must be in the "CMS Publisher" usergroup.

I consider this to be a bad design. It needs to be corrected. Functionality should not be hard coded to any usergroup. I have create a bug report on the issue:

That is the group I put them in - but I changed the name to "Contributor." If I change it back, will that fix the issue?

And the CMS Editor Usergroup has "view" rights all the way to Home. They can't see any channel from some strange reason, however - they only get the warning I posted.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Is it a secondary usergroup? Make sure it is their primary usergroup.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• deadpool809
                      • Apr 2018
                      • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      Is it a secondary usergroup? Make sure it is their primary usergroup.
                      No, it is their primary usergroup.

Comment