GDPR: how to stop vB from saving any IP address?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m97forum
    • Jun 2017
    • 5.3.x

[Server Config] GDPR: how to stop vB from saving any IP address?

Hello,

first up: I'm talking about vBulleting version 5.4.1

in preparation for the upcoming GDPR, I would like to suspend saving any IP address.

I have set up AdminCP -> Settings -> Options -> Texts: Create & Edit -> Save IP-Addresses to false. But the IP is saved anyway.

vB also stores the IP of newly registered users.

Is there any way to stop vB from saving any IP address at all? Then I do not need to take of them...

If not: which columns can I savely set to e.g. '127.0.0.1'? Tables/columns I know about:
    - table: ipdata
    - column: adminlog.ipaddress
    - column:apilog.ipaddress
    - column:cms_rate.ipaddress
    - column:moderatorlog.ipaddress
    - column:node.ipaddress
    - columnicturecomment.ipaddress
    - column:searchlog.ipaddress
    - column:user.ipaddress
    - column:userchangelog.ipaddress

Thanks a lot.

Stefan
  • plongeur.com
    • Mar 2017
    • 5.2.x

I honestly don't understand why this would help with gpdr since you will still have the email addresses of your users and they are personal data.

It seems gpdr support is under developpement for a future version of vbulletin, it would probably be a good idea to wait for it.

​​​​​​

Comment

• In Omnibus
      • Apr 2010

Are you selling taxable goods or services in the EU? Are you selling those goods or services to every member of your forum? Because, if not, it's entirely unnecessary to delete IP addresses. It's entirely unnecessary in any case because the GDPR allows for the collection of data for statistical or historical record purposes. There's a lot of overreaction about compliance with the GDPR from people who don't even need to do anything other than add a disclaimer to their current TOS to be in compliance.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Modifying the code like this is not a supported option.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...