Style Variable Editor changes take a long time to save.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • too_cool_3
    • Sep 2007
    • 4.2.x

[Bug / Issue] Style Variable Editor changes take a long time to save.

Hi, I've recently done a test upgrade from 4.2.5 to 5.4.1 and am attempting to make some small changes to the default style. When editing a style though AdminCP's Style Variable Editor, after making a change I click save and it takes an excessively long time to save the changes and bring up the 'Updating Style Information ... Saved Style Successfully' screen. On average, a minute and a half. Sometimes it's even timed out the connection. Is this normal?

Everything else is loading fine including the forum itself.
    Last edited by too_cool_3; Wed 9 May '18, 9:19am. Reason: correction
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

5.1.4? Do you mean 5.4.1?

Assuming you do....this page can take a while to save depending on whether the style you're editing has any child styles beneath it. It shouldn't be timing out though.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• too_cool_3
      • Sep 2007
      • 4.2.x

Hi Mark, I did mean 5.4.1, haha.

I'm editing a brand new style, based on the default, with no child styles. Only changing very basic things like colour. It definitely seems strange to be taking so long to save, especially since the rest of the forum is speedy as always.

Comment

• too_cool_3
        • Sep 2007
        • 4.2.x

Is this normal to take over a minute to save a simple colour change? Thanks guys.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by too_cool_3
          Is this normal to take over a minute to save a simple colour change? Thanks guys.
          It is going to depend on your server and how many styles you have installed. How you store your style sheets can also affect this. This only affects you as the administrator. It should not affect the users. If you want to speed it up, delete some of the styles. If you want to delete the default styles we provide, then you'll need to put the site in debug mode as there are two copies of each one.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• too_cool_3
            • Sep 2007
            • 4.2.x

Thanks Wayne. It's a brand new installation, only the default styles installed, +1 that I created based off default to just mess around... I find it a bit irritating to have to wait a minute for it to save, I'll give it some time and see it it persists.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

What version of PHP and MySQL are you using? These can have a significant impact on performance. We recommend PHP 7.2.X and MySQL 5.7 for best performance. MariaDB can have less performance because it uses an older version of the INNODB table engine.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• too_cool_3
                • Sep 2007
                • 4.2.x

PHP 7.1.17 and MySQL Version 5.6.39-cll-lve. Do you think these would make saving style var changes that slow? Thanks Wayne.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Just guessing to be honest. I don't have any information on what could be causing it to slow down except that it is probably related to your server configuration and the number of websites on the server using those resources.

It only takes a few seconds on my vBulletin 5 cloud site. The cloud site probably has 40 styles right now. It takes less than that on my local workstation. The local workstation has just the default number.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• too_cool_3
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 4.2.x

I checked with my host, URLJet. I am on shared hosting, they checked LVE Manager (resource allocation plugin for the server that makes it so everyone has equal resources) and found my usage normal so they doubled up my current settings in most areas. It now takes on average 20-30 seconds to save a colour change.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Unfortunately, that doesn't tell us what the problem may be. I am glad that it isn't as bad now. However, words like "normal" and "double" aren't quantifiable. They will be different values on every server configuration.

On my local server, it takes a few seconds for the entire process of saving, rebuilding the style and reloading the style variable editor. I am using PHP 7.2.5, MySQL 8.0.11, and Apache 2.4.33. PHP has 256 MB of memory allocated per script. All other settings are default. Neither Apache or MySQL have been optimized.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment