Please vote for this JIRA...it's a feature from vB4 that has not been implemented properly in vB5

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pgreenway
    • Apr 2018
    • 5.3.x

Please vote for this JIRA...it's a feature from vB4 that has not been implemented properly in vB5

The feature is the 'Go to First New Post'. In vB4, the 'Go to First New Post' feature would take you to the first new post and only all posts on that same page were marked as read and not the rest of the posts in that topic. So that when you went back into the thread in the future it would take you to the first new post again and not skip all posts that were read. For instance, if I have 500 posts and have 50 posts per page I have 10 pages. I click on go to First New Post and it takes me to page 1, post 1. I exit out and then go back in using the same feature, it will take me to page 2, post 51. I exit out and then go back in using the same feature it takes me to page 3, post 101.

In vB5, it takes you to first post but marks all other posts as read. So as in the above example, after you exit out and go back in the first time instead of taking you to page 2, post 51 it takes you to page 10 and the last post that wasn't marked as read.

This feature needs to be fixed. Please vote on it

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Technically, it should only mark the topic as read if you visit the last page of the topic. This would be considered a bug. That is also how it was supposed to work in vBulletin 4 as well.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

If I'm honest the behaviour of this has been inconsistent going back at least as far as vB3.

I've never managed to pin down any specifics so it can be logged though. If you try on purpose, it seems to work as expected. It's just odd times it doesn't do as it should.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• pgreenway
        pgreenway commented
        Editing a comment
        so we used to use vb4 for close to 7 years or so and I don't recall ever having that issue on that version...I'm an amateur coder at best, took classes in college during my engineering degree and have used those skills sparingly over the years so I couldn't even begin to tell where to start here

I just know it works differently on vb5 than it did on vb4, not quite sure why. Thanks for the feedback on this one Mark