X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Emad ELsayed
    • Jan 2013
    • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    It doesn't cause a loss of data to the software. SEO isn't one of the criteria used to prioritize issues. The issue is categorized as minor. The only thing to improve on that is votes.
    Dear Wayne Luke
    I was looking at the tickets and there were minor problems and minor additions were not important and were approved although there was no vote.
    Why such a problem is said to need a vote in order to work on it. Is it because I am an old customer.
    I think there is a lack of interest in the demands of Arab customers.
    i like vb but Please look hard at the reasons to leave a lot of vbulletin and move to xenforo and others.
    Best Regards

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

So this issue isn't a "Duplicate Meta Tag" issue. It is a missing meta tag issue. It may seem like semantics but that is how we need to describe the problem. When there is no description available, the system uses the description of the parent. Click "Edit Topic" and Save will resolve this issue. Do I expect you to do this for every topic? No. Which is why I created a bug report to have a tool created to do this. However, for newer topics that are still active, it can help alleviate the problem. Old out of date topics are often irrelevant to driving your site forward.

vBulletin 4 did not store the value for the description in its own field. It would always pull the full text of the topic and create the description on the fly with this method. It works but can be heavy on memory. In vBulletin 5, the description is saved in the node table when the topic is stored. These descriptions don't seem to be created in the upgrade steps. You could create this with a SQL query but then you would have issues with filenames, BBCode and HTML (if allowed) in your descriptions. So a query will probably cause more problems than it solves.

Here is the query:
      Code:
      update node as n join text as t on (n.nodeid=t.nodeid) set n.description = SUBSTRING(t.rawtext,0,300) where contenttypeid=22;
      Here is the bug report to fix it the correct way: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-18327

As for voting, it helps increase the priority of an issue. It is not the only determining issue. The more votes something has, the more I can campaign to have it resolved. In my opinion, there are many more fundamental and more important issues than meta tags in the queue. Anything with 10 or more votes is a higher priority than everything else in my opinion. You can see them ordered by votes here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...equestId=12273

Tickets, forum topics, and bug reports are completely different. The developers will only look at the reports entered into the JIRA. Occasionally, support will cross-link tickets and forum topics to these issues to try and raise priority but it doesn't really work. Only votes and comments on the bug report increase the importance of the issue. Finally, the support members do not fix bugs nor do they have any overall say in what issues are fixed in each version.
      Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 3 Apr '18, 11:40am.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Emad ELsayed
        • Jan 2013
        • 4.2.x

Thank you dear Wayne Luke for clarification
        But I mentioned what I saw myself with interest in things that were not important and left more important issues.

I feel sad when I see a company as strong as vbulletin ignoring customer requests ,Or lack of something essential in their products "must be resolved quickly"
        Because it is important if you upgrade only. Or new customers will not feel this is for those who wish to upgrade only.

I searched many sites for a solution to this problem and found a lot of customers who had the same problem and eventually used other companies' products. Providing them everything free and fast and this is really unfortunate.

i try the query, but the result is 0 row affected

Thank you again and wait for the return of vB5 after resolving this.

Best Regards
        Last edited by Emad ELsayed; Tue 3 Apr '18, 1:10pm.

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

We are not "ignoring customer requests" and it's really quite frustrating when people keep saying this despite the numerous long and detailed posts we keep putting in explaining the process.

We cannot possibly simply have developers work on every request just because someone demands it. Things have to be prioritised, and in some cases things a customer requests might not even fit with the vision, direction and roadmap for the product.

We have added an awful lot of stuff recently based on customer feedback and requests. For instance, we've just added Twitter login to 5.4.2, this has been one of the most requested features of recent times. The calendar got added back in last year because so many people wanted it (even though it had at first been decided not to include one as it didn't fit with the plans for the product). Styling has got many magnitudes easier and better in the past two releases alone.

Our developers cannot possibly work on everything and anything. It's just not possible, and therefore at all times there are going to be customers who are disappointed that we haven't added their suggestion or request. That is simply a fact of life. Every issue in the tracker is a major issue to somebody somewhere, that's how it is.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Emad ELsayed
            • Jan 2013
            • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
            We are not "ignoring customer requests" and it's really quite frustrating when people keep saying this despite the numerous long and detailed posts we keep putting in explaining the process.

We cannot possibly simply have developers work on every request just because someone demands it. Things have to be prioritised, and in some cases things a customer requests might not even fit with the vision, direction and roadmap for the product.

We have added an awful lot of stuff recently based on customer feedback and requests. For instance, we've just added Twitter login to 5.4.2, this has been one of the most requested features of recent times. The calendar got added back in last year because so many people wanted it (even though it had at first been decided not to include one as it didn't fit with the plans for the product). Styling has got many magnitudes easier and better in the past two releases alone.

Our developers cannot possibly work on everything and anything. It's just not possible, and therefore at all times there are going to be customers who are disappointed that we haven't added their suggestion or request. That is simply a fact of life. Every issue in the tracker is a major issue to somebody somewhere, that's how it is.
            Dear Mark.B

I agree with you and I like the vB5 because of its many advantages. But if I do not ask for a feature or add a personality, then I have not mentioned a problem at the core of the program.

It is a general problem. I have all tried to upgrade to vB5 then discovered it and dropped to vB4 because it wants the best.

I personally opened tickets to request additional features but minor things could be available or not. This does not harm the program and does not cause problems in anything.

The current problem is to destroy my site when I find 65000 descriptions of dead crowns duplicate and increase daily it is not my right as a client to demand a solution to this matter. But must be done without the request of any customer.

I'm one of the people talked about this problem, so what about hundreds of customers who are waiting to solve or go to other programs or come back after the upgrade.

Best Regards

Comment

• Emad ELsayed
              • Jan 2013
              • 4.2.x

This problem is an obstacle for anyone who wants to upgrade to vb5
              I wish to make tool to solve this problem ..
              Best Regards

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

There has been an open issue on this for a long time. See here: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-10867

However, it has been buried because there have been no votes and it hasn't received traction among the community base. This only tells the managers that it isn't a serious issue and other issues will continue to take priority. With only 1 vote, I can't legitimately present it as something affecting the community at large over other issues that are more prominent.

For those key topics out of the 65,000, you can simply edit and save the topic starter post to rebuild the summary description. Yes, this isn't going to be practical for all of the topics but I would assume that the majority of those 65,000 topics aren't relevant to today's conversation.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Emad ELsayed
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  There has been an open issue on this for a long time. See here: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-10867

However, it has been buried because there have been no votes and it hasn't received traction among the community base. This only tells the managers that it isn't a serious issue and other issues will continue to take priority. With only 1 vote, I can't legitimately present it as something affecting the community at large over other issues that are more prominent.

For those key topics out of the 65,000, you can simply edit and save the topic starter post to rebuild the summary description. Yes, this isn't going to be practical for all of the topics but I would assume that the majority of those 65,000 topics aren't relevant to today's conversation.
                  my dear
                  Respect your view of this problem
                  But I think a lot does not use the support center and once the problem is discovered is retreating from the upgrade,
                  I know a lot of customers refuse to upgrade because of this problem.
                  If this is the case now: is there a way to modify topics faster?
                  Best Regards

Comment