Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maltair
    • Feb 2009

Adding more smilies / emoticons

How do I do this for vb5? Where do I find the images?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Same way you did it in vBulletin 4.

Upload the new images to your server into the core/images/smilies directory.
    Go to Smilies ->Add New Smilies
    Click Add Smilies under Add Multiple Smilies.

As for getting new images, you have to source those on your own. There are many packages available on the Web for free and fee.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Maltair
      • Feb 2009

Thanks!

Has anyone here done it and may recommend sources that are trouble free, and work.

Comment

• rhens
        rhens commented
        Editing a comment
        its easier than you might think. when you find one you like....right click/ save as...then in your admin panel, find upload smilie...then click on browse and select your smilie. give it a name for you to use, and viola'....you're ready to do it again!
    • Maltair
      • Feb 2009

Thanks! Okay so what I did is download a few hundred gif smilies. I named each one (versus their original names of image1 image2 image.gif etc.) to something like cool.gif shakinghead.gif alien.gif etc.)

Then I went into
      core/images/smilies
      and CH mod the smilies folder to 777
      and created a new folder entitled
      gifs
      and uploaded all the gifs into it.

Under ACP/smilies
      I created a new category gifs
      and then under
      Add Multiple Smilies
      I uploaded all the gifs at once from that path of core/images/smilies/gifs

All pretty easy.

But then I had to go and select each page of the new smilies one page at a time, about 19 pages of them, to add them or whatever was going on in the next screens. Is there a faster way for this step?
      ***Also, strange, it kept trying to add the first three (alphabetically) new gif smileys on each page, so that I had to spend time deselecting those first three or just deal with the duplicate smileys already added message.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MDawg
        But then I had to go and select each page of the new smilies one page at a time, about 19 pages of them, to add them or whatever was going on in the next screens. Is there a faster way for this step?
        Since you have to add a replacement code for each one, you have to go through this process when adding them. You should be able to choose to show more smilies per page.
        ***Also, strange, it kept trying to add the first three (alphabetically) new gif smileys on each page, so that I had to spend time deselecting those first three or just deal with the duplicate smileys already added message.
        If the replacement value for a smilie is already assigned to another smilie, they won't be added to the system and will continue to show in the results.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Maltair
          • Feb 2009

Yes, setting it to display all of the smileys in one page, while adding, is the ticket to getting it all done faster. Just noticed that myself. Thanks!

Comment