Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark.hs
    • Dec 2016

VB 5 not passing site search data to Google Analytics

For our main forum: www.hobbysquawk.com , We have the Google Analytics code successfully installed on our forum and GA is tracking basic visitor info like location, time on site, etc. However, GA is not tracking any site searches on our website. In GA, when you go to Behavior > Site Search > Overview, you will see all the terms that people are searching for on your website. Basically GA just looks for the search?q= string and logs those values. For some reason VB isn't passing any of the site search data to GA.

Does anyone know how to correct this?
    Admin for hobbysquawk.com
    VB 5.74
    PHP 8.2
    Maria DB 10.6
  • mark.hs
    • Dec 2016

Disregard, I found out that site search wasnt enabled in Google Analytics. If anyone else is having this issue make sure you enable site search in GA by going to Admin > . View > View Settings > Enable Site Search Tracking. I'm not 100% sure what the Query parameters should be, I think it is just "q" or "search", you will need to experiment.
    VB 5.74
    PHP 8.2
    Maria DB 10.6

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Search pages are transient and only last an hour in the vBulletin system. They should not be indexed in Google.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mark.hs
        • Dec 2016

My post was referring to Google Analytics, not Google search. If you want to know what search phrases people are searching for on your forum, you need to use a tool like Google Analytics.
        VB 5.74
        PHP 8.2
        Maria DB 10.6

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2011
          • 5.7.X

Originally posted by mark.hs
          I'm not 100% sure what the Query parameters should be, I think it is just "q" or "search", you will need to experiment.
          Thanks for sharing mark.hs. It's just "q" without the quotes.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...