Blogs "+New Blog Entry" button shows on iPhone when permissions exclude it, but not on tablet/computer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenKay
    • Apr 2003

[Bug / Issue] Blogs "+New Blog Entry" button shows on iPhone when permissions exclude it, but not on tablet/computer

So I only want members of a certain special user group to be able to create new blogs. Registered Users should NOT be able to create a new blog (channel).

Channel permissions for Blogs for "Registered Users" are set to "Can Create Channel NO" and "Can post Topics NO".

On the computer browser, and on an iPad, this works and the "+New Blog Entry" button is gone.

On an iPhone, however, the button is still there, quite prominently, but clicking on it displays "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page (no_permissions)".

The same things does NOT happen for ARTICLES, which I have set up the same way.

vB 5.4.0.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

When you edit the Registered Usergroup under Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager, what is "Can Create Blog" set to? This should be set to No.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• StephenKay
      • Apr 2003

Thanks! I did indeed have that set to YES. So now the button is gone on the phone version. But this seems like kind of a weird, partially redundant or overlapping permission.

A blog post is a topic in the blogs channel, no? So why have a Can Create Blog, when you've already got can post topic or can create channel? If those are turned off, you cannot create a blog anyway, even without this other one turned off. And you would think that if this was going to be a Usergroup Permission, it would appear in the Channel Permissions as well so you could override it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Yes. It is a weird and redundant permission. It should be controlled by the channel permissions on the Blog Channel. It is one of the artifacts left over from converting the vBulletin 4 software to vBulletin 5. Unfortunately, there are quite a few of these. I try to have them eliminated as there is development time available.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

There is a JIRA open on this - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-13159

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment