Anything that would cause Channel Permissions to become modified?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenKay
    • Apr 2003

Anything that would cause Channel Permissions to become modified?

Today I noticed that all of my Channel Permissions in the Blog Channel have been modified (are all red at the top level Blogs Channel). But I had only ever modified one of them, the Registered Users Permissions (I keep a text file detailing all of the permissions edits I do). I swear I did not modify these and no one else has access to the site.

Yesterday, I did modify a setting in all of the User Groups, specifically "can create photo gallery = NO". Would this somehow cause the Channel Permissions to be modified? Or is there anything else that might have caused this? Thanks.

EDIT: additionally, I notice that a bunch of the top level Groups Channel Permissions are edited (red) - and I'm not even using Groups and have never touched these...

I have not modified anything at the top top level Home Channel Permissions (which Groups and Blogs are under), and none of those are red.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The system doesn't actually read the permission table a lot of the time. It reads various caches out of the datastore table. These caches put information in a format that vBulletin needs and are easier to digest. This caches may become out of date. I don't know why. Opening a permission set under Usergroups -> Channel Permissions and saving it should rebuild the permission cache.

The Usergroup Permissions are the template and base settings for Channel Permissions. So yes, changing Usergroup Permissions will change the Channel Permissions if they are not using a customized permission set.

We also rewrote how the cache is stored a few versions ago (would have to look up the exact version). If you have an older addon that manipulates the cache directly (they shouldn't do this) then you can corrupt the cache.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• StephenKay
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      The Usergroup Permissions are the template and base settings for Channel Permissions. So yes, changing Usergroup Permissions will change the Channel Permissions if they are not using a customized permission set.
      Just to make sure I understand, you are saying that editing Usergroup Permissions will cause non-customized Channel Permissions to turn red at the top level (i.e. become edited)? Or you are just saying that the default Channel Permissions for a (non-customized) Usergroup follow the Usergroup Permissions?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by StephenKay
        Or you are just saying that the default Channel Permissions for a (non-customized) Usergroup follow the Usergroup Permissions?
        this
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• StephenKay
          • Apr 2003

I upgraded to 5.4 today and noticed the following message in the AdminCP:

"There was an issue prior to 5.4.0 where editing and saving a usergroup affected channel permissions for the "Groups" channel. Please click on the "Address" button to go to the Channel Permissions page and review the channel permissions for all usergroups on the "Groups" channel."

So the answer to the original question is "yes, editing User Groups might have some effect on Channel Permissions." Glad it's fixed.

Comment