Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maltair
    • Feb 2009

Facebook connect questions

1) I just received this email, will this have any impact on the Facebook connect via vbulletin?
    Required Security Update for Facebook Login
    In 35 days, we're making a security update to Facebook Login that will invalidate calls from URIs not listed in the Valid OAuth redirect URIs field of your Facebook Login settings.

This update comes in response to malicious activity we saw on our platform, and we want to protect your app or website by requiring a new strict mode for redirect URIs. Take action now to ensure your redirect traffic continues to work. Learn More
    You can view this and other Developer Notifications related to your app, in the App Dashboard.

2) The mobile URL is no longer a part of the Facebook connect app and I get this message:

Mobile Site URL is no longer supported, as of July 09, 2017. In order to retain this functionality, you will need to update your app to handle the redirection in the desktop iframe. You will need to detect mobile browsers loading the page, and render a button to upsell people off of Facebook to your mobile website. Read more.

3) Do I need to implement

manage_pages

publish_pages

publish_actions

App Verification

to use Facebook connect for vbulletin 5, or are
    email
    public_profile
    user_friends

enough?
  • Craig
    • Jan 2008
    • 6.X

I'll add to your 7 day old post. I attempted to create an account on one of my forums that used Facebook platform to connect, but it fails whereas it worked fine previously. Something has changed, either on Facebook side, or within vB application. I have since disabled the platform until I can work on the issue.

For what its worth, your post prompted me to test the app as a newbie to my site. I thank you for that as it allowed me to find a problem I may not have known about previously.

Curious about others if they too are having similar issues.
    adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• Maltair
      • Feb 2009

Actually my FB connect is still working on my vb5 forum - I mean I login via FB and FB only every day. And vbulletin responded to me about the above issues:
      "You only have to make sure your URL is valid in the oauth settings on Facebook's App Settings page. The other changes aren't relevant to allowing logins in vBulletin 5."

Comment

• Maltair
        • Feb 2009

Facebook login always works, but it does occasionally present an error - and then logs in anyway. Or it says that such and such is "not authorized" but allows you to proceed and login anyway.

Comment

• Maltair
          • Feb 2009

I can't login to my vb5 forum via FB app today, stopped working even though it was working fine as recently as yesterday, get this "invalid scope" error:

which is odd, because the app is approved only for

email
          Provides access to the person's primary email address. This permission is approved by default.
          public_profile
          Provides access to a person's basic information, including first name, last name, profile picture, gender and age range. This permission is approved by default.
          user_friends
          Provides access to a person's list of friends that also use your app. This permission is approved by default.

that's it!

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

Facebook have made changes behind the scenes yet again with no warning. This has affected a large number of people who use their connect functionality (websites, apps etc) and has been documented on various news sites thanks to one of the largest app users, Tinder, having it's users locked out as a result.
            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Maltair
              • Feb 2009

What is strange is that using the oneall.com app, I AM able to login via Facebook to my forum, and the developer Facebook apps are pretty much identical (the one for vbulletin, and the one for oneall) within my FB developer's account.

Apparently, the scope/permissions are created dynamically during the login.

OneAll automatically computes the permissions based on what you have selected in the Facebook settings of your OneAll account.

The vbulletin Facebook login is probably deprecated and uses permissions no longer supported by Facebook.
              Last edited by Maltair; Thu 5 Apr '18, 10:24am.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

I've created a Bug Report for this here:

If you edit the first line of the 'js\facebook.js' file and remove the references to those two values, this should resolve this for you.
                Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Maltair
                  • Feb 2009

Yes I went into js\facebook.js and removed user_about_me, user_work_history - cleared cache, and now able to login via vbulletin FB. Thanks!

Comment

• Maltair
                    • Feb 2009

This issue was not resolved and remains in vb 5.4.2 - you must go into js\facebook.js and remove user_about_me, user_work_history - clear cache, and then will be able to login via vbulletin FB.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

The issue for this didn't make the cutoff for this version. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• zweeper
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 6.0.X

Never got a registration working with Facebook and my forum

Comment

• Maltair
                          • Feb 2009

This just started today:

Invalid Scopes: publish_actions, user_birthday, user_location. This message is only shown to developers. Users of your app will ignore these permissions if present. Please read the documentation for valid permissions at: https://developers.facebook.com/docs...in/permissions

Should I go into js\facebook.js and remove those too now?
                          Last edited by Maltair; Wed 1 Aug '18, 9:36am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

What is the full link to Facebook? The one provided is broken at the -.

Yes, you should just remove them.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Maltair
                              • Feb 2009

Please read the documentation for valid permissions at: https://developers.facebook.com/docs...in/permissions

Comment