Is it possible to specify a certain time zone as default for new accounts?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenKay
    • Apr 2003

Is it possible to specify a certain time zone as default for new accounts?

The forum I am setting up is for our community in Arizona. No one will be joining this that is not in Arizona. Therefore, is it possible to make the GMT-7:00 Mountain Time zone the default setting on newly created accounts, so users don't have to manually set this up themselves?
  • In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

Yes and No. You can set the time globally in the AdminCP / Settings / Options / Date And Time Options / Default Time Zone Offset.

Your server time may or may not interfere with this setting. If it does you should contact your hosting about changing the system clock to match your setting.

Comment

• StephenKay
      • Apr 2003

As far as I can tell, this has nothing to do with new accounts created. My forum options are set to GMT -7:00. New accounts created default to GMT 0:00 it seems.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by StephenKay
        As far as I can tell, this has nothing to do with new accounts created. My forum options are set to GMT -7:00. New accounts created default to GMT 0:00 it seems.
        That should be entered as a bug in JIRA then. New Registrations are supposed to inherit the default time zone set for guests. Users can also change their time zone by clicking "User Settings" on the drop-down menu with their name. On that page they can click on "Account" to change their settings, including the timezone.

However, I cannot recreate the issue in 5.4.0. I went to Settings -> Options -> Date and Time Options. Set my Time Zone to GMT-8 Pacific US & Canada. Then in an incognito window, I registered a new user and they inherited the same time zone. The option is not applied retroactively so if the user registered before you changed it, they will not be updated. They will need to manually update it. Or you can edit the user in the AdminCP and change it for them.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• StephenKay
          • Apr 2003

OK, thanks for the test. I'll do some more testing with creating a new user, maybe I did something wrong.

Comment