Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • derfred33
    • Jan 2018

Thumbnails not showing in edit mode

On edit post mode the links to insert images on the post are not working, I don´t know what to do more, please help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 10.10.19.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	4385334

Better watch the video I did to explain the problem:
    https://youtu.be/q0QQ8gSajOQ

Thanks for any help.
  • derfred33
    • Jan 2018

I may have found something regarding this but need the insight of someone more used to this forum system.

When editing a post as the user who created the post or as an admin that is NOT admin1 (the originally created admin at forum installation) the thumbnails in the edit page are visible.

BUT still the various sizes show the same problem as seen in the video I posted.

Maybe admin1 has no permissions to see these thumbnails? What could be happening?

The issue with the different thumbnail sizes not being displayed may be a thumbnail generation issue? Or could it be a permissions issue?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Could be a permissions issue. Could be a javascript issue. Don't really have enough information to tell what the issue is. The video doesn't provide anything new.

Do any javascript errors occur in the Developer console of your browser?
      What groups is Admin1 in?
      Are any of these custom usergroups?
      Does the problem happen if the Admin1 user is only in a single usergroup?
      Does the Admin1 user have all permissions listed under Usergroups -> Administrator Permissions?
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• derfred33
        • Jan 2018

Thank you Wayne, I will check that.

Comment

• derfred33
          • Jan 2018

Replying to your questions:

Do any javascript errors occur in the Developer console of your browser?

No javascrpt errors, only these:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 10.32.16.jpg Views:	2 Size:	203.6 KB ID:	4385380

What groups is Admin1 in?

Admin1 is not a username, is the admin originally created when vbulletin was installed.

Are any of these custom usergroups?

No

Does the problem happen if the Admin1 user is only in a single usergroup?

Created a second admin, added to the admin group and with this second admin can´t see the thumbnails on edit mode either. And when clicking the different size thumbnails they are not added to the post either.

Does the Admin1 user have all permissions listed under Usergroups -> Administrator Permissions?

I haven´t touched any permissions since installation, Admin1 should be as when the forum was installed.

Could this be simply a memory issue? Are these thumbnails generated when the image is uploaded or are they generated when the link in the edit post is clicked?

Also, I´m using nginx, here is the configuration file for the server block, please delete this part of the post when you read it:

Attached Files
          Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 26 Jan '18, 11:01am. Reason: deleted NGINX config as requested. view post history to see it.

Comment

• derfred33
            • Jan 2018

Posting as a normal user I cansee the images when editing but if I click the link to add a different size thumbnail to the post I get this error.
            But still an image is added.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Seems like a javascript issue. I noticed that XSS protection was commented out in the server config. Is this enabled somewhere else? Admins have additional javascript and CSS that is loaded.

Do you have any third party modifications on the site?

Do you have any browser extensions that could block any javascript?

Are you running an ad blocker?

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• derfred33
                • Jan 2018

I noticed that XSS protection was commented out in the server config. Is this enabled somewhere else? Admins have additional javascript and CSS that is loaded.

I don´t think I have any another XSS protection, where could it be if there were?

Do you have any third party modifications on the site?

Nothing. The app is as it was originally, only changed settings and created channels/forums via admin CP

Do you have any browser extensions that could block any javascript?
                Are you running an ad blocker?

Yes, ad blocker but it was disabled fot this site. I can install firefox clean and test.

---

Could you please explain roughly how does this thumbnail generation and posting mechanism works?

Does it generate the thumbnails on upload or does it generate and then save a new size on request per link click at the post edit page?

I was using jquery from google, now I changed to local, cleared cache, cleared browser cache and the problem persists. Both on safari and chrome.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

I've a feeling this is a bug, I can replicate it on this site. In this thread even.
                  Will need to do more testing on my demo site where I can play with the permissions.

If I edit the original post in this thread, here is what I see...

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	4385435
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

When editing my own post with an attachment, I do see the thumbnail. It's when I edit someone else's (I am not an admin on this site though, only a moderator).
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------

Comment

• derfred33
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Mark.B
                      I've a feeling this is a bug, I can replicate it on this site. In this thread even.
                      Will need to do more testing on my demo site where I can play with the permissions.

Exactly

I have tried this with the Admin1 (the admin account created on install) and with an admin account I created after just for testing. None of these admin accounts can see the thumbnails on the post edit page, neither add different size thumbnails.

I was thinking, if the admin has a different set of javasctipt functions or files maybe the code that allows this thumbnail generation is missing on the set of JS functions available to an admin (and moderator as you proven)

Thanks for helping

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mark.B

You'll need to create JIRA with steps to reproduce.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

You'll need to create JIRA with steps to reproduce.
                          Yep, I'm on that, I just want to try and get more details from my own site where I have permissions access.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------

Comment

• derfred33
                            • Jan 2018

Any news about this issue?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

It appears to be a bug. It will have to go through the bug review process. There is no immediate fix.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment