• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lingo
    • Nov 2017
    • 5.3.x

Time limit

Hello,

in the settings I only see the time limit for a user to edit the title, how to change the time limit for the topic itself? I would like to give them the option to edit only within a few hours, then they woundn't be able to do it.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

This is covered by the post editing time on a per-usergroup basis. There is no separate setting for the first post in a topic.

AdminCP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Edit Usergroup > Channel Permissions > Time Limit for Editing Posts
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Lingo
      • Nov 2017
      • 5.3.x

Thank you, it was set on "0" so unlimited, and I see that the time is express in hours, so if I want allow just one hour after posting of editing and then they won't be able to edit anymore I just have to write "1", correct?

Comment

• Mrs.T
        • Nov 2007
        • 6.0.X

Yes that's right.

I​​​​​ wish there was an option for minutes too, rather than the minimum being an hour.

Comment

• Mrs.T
          Mrs.T commented
          Editing a comment
          No Glenn, if you do 0.5 when it saves it removes the .5 and sets it at 0

I'm sure in v4 you set it in minutes e.g. 120 if you wanted to set 2 hours

• Wayne Luke
          Wayne Luke commented
          Editing a comment
          The value is stored as an integer.

• Mrs.T
          Mrs.T commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw Wayne had created a Jira for this, if anyone wants to vote.

• Mrs.T
        • Nov 2007
        • 6.0.X

I've just discovered that "allow deletion of attachments beyond time limit" is no longer used.

So if you set an edit time limit on posts members cannot delete their attachments in them.

This is a problem if you set a storage limit for members attachments, they cannot delete old ones to make space for new ones, unless you give them unlimited editing time.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          glennrocksvb commented
          Editing a comment
          Admins can delete them on the frontend or in AdminCP.

• Mrs.T
          Mrs.T commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I realise that Glenn but it means the member has to find the attachment, send us a link and then we have to go and delete it, possibly for multiple attachments. It was so easy when members were in control of their own attachments.
      • Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle
        This is a problem if you set a storage limit for members attachments, they cannot delete old ones to make space for new ones, unless you give them unlimited editing time.
        What is the reason for the limit on attachment storage?

Looking at your site, you have a lot of storage available. You're using roughly 2 gigabytes out of the available 100 gigabytes on your plan.

The option doesn't work because there is no interface for users to delete old attachments. In vBulletin 4, there was. That feature wasn't carried forward.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
          • Apr 2010

I've never allowed attachments to be deleted and I've always required attachments as opposed to URL links. Nothing I can think of breaks a discussion faster than a missing attachment that was either the reason for the thread or a rebuttal to the thread.

Comment

• Mrs.T
            • Nov 2007
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

What is the reason for the limit on attachment storage?
            It is space, having self hosted we were always having to be careful and keep things small to save paying more. I suppose after 10 years it is a hard habit to break

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Looking at your site, you have a lot of storage available. You're using roughly 2 gigabytes out of the available 100 gigabytes on your plan.
            No need to worry then, thanks.

Downside is that members have always been able to delete their attachments, it's now the most common contact us ''problem' that we have to deal with when they find they can't.

Comment

• Mrs.T
              • Nov 2007
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by In Omnibus
              I've never allowed attachments to be deleted and I've always required attachments as opposed to URL links. Nothing I can think of breaks a discussion faster than a missing attachment that was either the reason for the thread or a rebuttal to the thread.
              Thanks, good point

Comment