X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheechako
    • Dec 2017
    • 5.0.x

iPhone/Android movie upload

I have searched these Forums for an answer, maybe missed a prior thread on this topic, but...

I want my users to take a movie with their phone and directly post it via the NewTopic or Reply. For photos, it works fine using the Insert Image, Share Photos, or Upload Attachments features. But Insert Video or Upload Attachments for a video does not work (an Invalid File error).

I have added the file extensions to include .mp4, .mpeg, .avi, etc and removed file size limits, but still get the same error.

I realize my users can paste a URL from YouTube, but my site is medical and some of my users do not want their content on YouTube, even if tagged as Private.

At present, I am testing video on my site by loading the .mp4 into my DropBox or Google Drive and then utilizing the Insert Video BBCode. However, there are performance and compatibility issues I am finding when testing on different browsers. Also, this forces my users to have an active DropBox or Drive account, which not all of them want.

I am willing to host these large files on my ISP outside of the MySQLi database, but can't figure out how to get the users to upload, and link to, such files.

Any thoughts...

Many TIAs

• glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

One possible solution is to tell them to upload to Streamable.com (free and sign up not required) and then you can create a custom BBCode for Streamable so that they can embed the video easily in their posts.
    Fast and easy video streaming for bloggers and publishers.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• glennrocksvb
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2011
      • 5.7.X

They also have API that will allow you do your own video upload interface and upload the file to their server using their API. This obviously requires custom coding.

Streamable provides a limited, read-only API for accessing video metadata in order to enable video playback. Web applications must use the embedded Streamable p

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Cheechako
        • Dec 2017
        • 5.0.x

Great option which I had not seen before. The API docs are a bit intimidating for newbies, but could be done. Still, Streamable content would reside in the public domain rather than on my own server and behind a user account login. My concern has to do with HIPPA Privacy. Of course, *anything* served via the net is actually "public", regardless of any security features used.

My question was if vBulletin could upload video files to the server where the Forum resides. Photos and attachments can be and are stored in the backing MySQL database, but movies are too large for this. There appears to be no option to write video files to a folder instead. (Probably a security risk?)

Maybe another solution would be to build a BBCode that FTP's the movies to a folder on the same server, then embeds the URL into some standard video player, like Player.js or JWPlayer.js

Complicated? Insecure? Dumb?

Thanks for your thoughts....

Comment