X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • William Thomas Jr
    • Nov 2014
    • 5.1.x

IPV6 How to Restrict AdminCP

In the core/includes/config file there's an option to restrict the admincp by ip number. Exactly how will this look when using IPv6? When I attempt to put my IPV6 in the config file it blocks me from the Admincp.

For example:

$config['Security']['AdminIP'] = '';
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You have to use an IPv4 address at this time. If you want to secure your account, use Two-Factor Authentication.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
      • Apr 2010

According to Google only 20% of internet addresses are using the IPv6 standard right now.

Comment

• William Thomas Jr
        • Nov 2014
        • 5.1.x

Originally posted by In Omnibus
        According to Google only 20% of internet addresses are using the IPv6 standard right now.
        Unfortunately, my IP is V6, and quite frankly in the who is online it shows many people with IP v6 making some of the functionality quite wanting in VB. I'm forced to use .htaccess and if the person has IP v 6 then it is bout impossible to find the entire ip in VB of the person in question.

Correct me if wrong?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

It isn't a simple change.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• William Thomas Jr
            • Nov 2014
            • 5.1.x

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find the complete IPV6 number of someone logged into the forum? I am having a major issue with a troll, though he is using IPV4. I'm trying to prepare for a case when a IPV6 user wrecks havoc. I have no idea how to find the complete IPV6 number in VB. Am I missing something?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

You can try running these queries:
              Code:
              ALTER TABLE `session`
                  CHANGE COLUMN `host` `host` CHAR(45) NOT NULL DEFAULT '' AFTER `userid`;
              ALTER TABLE `node`
                  CHANGE COLUMN `ipaddress` `ipaddress` CHAR(45) NOT NULL DEFAULT '' AFTER `totalunpubcount`;
              Then you might be able to run direct queries against the database. Doing this is at your own risk so you probably want to test on a development installation.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by William Thomas Jr

Unfortunately, my IP is V6, and quite frankly in the who is online it shows many people with IP v6 making some of the functionality quite wanting in VB. I'm forced to use .htaccess and if the person has IP v 6 then it is bout impossible to find the entire ip in VB of the person in question.

Correct me if wrong?
                No, you're not "wrong" by any stretch. I was merely attempting to explain why perhaps the issue hasn't been a priority over other issues. In fact, the initial JIRA entry was specific to European IP addresses which have as of yet not run out of IPv4 addresses, even though the request was over five years ago.

Comment