What are the strictest user approval mechanisms that I can use.?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luism
    • Aug 2008
    • 5.1.x

What are the strictest user approval mechanisms that I can use.?

I have been a victim of spam so much that at this point I would be ok with me manually approving each user.. If I don't approve them then they cant post.
    Is this doable?
    Thanks
    -Luis M

http://www.appstorerevealed.com
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Yes

AdminCP > Settings > Options > User Registration Options > Moderate New Members
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Carrfixr
      • May 2017
      • 5.5.x

I do what Mark mentioned but that still is not strong enough. I also set up a special user group that enables me to moderate their posts until i feel they should be moved to the main registered users group. I manually put them into this group and remove them.

Comment

• In Omnibus
        • Apr 2010

Use a security question that has no legitimate answer and make new registrations e-mail the administrator account for the answer. This may seem like overkill but spammers won't waste their time e-mailing for the answer in order to register.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Carrfixr
          I do what Mark mentioned but that still is not strong enough. I also set up a special user group that enables me to moderate their posts until i feel they should be moved to the main registered users group. I manually put them into this group and remove them.
          Why not restrict the permissions of the registered usergroup and require all posts from that group to be approved? Then you can set up a Usergroup promotion that says if they have 5 (approved) posts, then move them to a group with more permissions. Then all you have to do is moderate the posts of the new users. The system will automatically move them when the requirements are met.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Carrfixr
            • May 2017
            • 5.5.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Why not restrict the permissions of the registered usergroup and require all posts from that group to be approved? Then you can set up a Usergroup promotion that says if they have 5 (approved) posts, then move them to a group with more permissions. Then all you have to do is moderate the posts of the new users. The system will automatically move them when the requirements are met.
            Wayne i tried doing that, using your tutorial that was posted on another thread. After i did it a whole slew of my registered users lost their avatars pics so i deleted the user group and had to update the user title and ranks for things to go back to normal. Now i'm afraid to mess with it again.
            Thanks for the reply

Comment

• luism
              • Aug 2008
              • 5.1.x

Originally posted by In Omnibus
              Use a security question that has no legitimate answer and make new registrations e-mail the administrator account for the answer. This may seem like overkill but spammers won't waste their time e-mailing for the answer in order to register.
              Hi There.. so because of spam issues I reset my whole bulletin board and guess what 2 days later I have a whole new mass of members that got thru the cracks.

I like your idea for them to email me directly.. At least for the re-installment of my website I would like the new people registering me to email me for an answer.

How would I implement your idea?

Thanks!

-Luis M

Comment

• Mrs.T
                • Nov 2007
                • 6.0.X

That's exactly what we do, it works really well and if we feel that someone is definitely a genuine member we can always manually move them to the fully registered usergroup before they have the required posts to save them being in moderation.

​​​​​​

Comment

• luism
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Carrfixr

Wayne i tried doing that, using your tutorial that was posted on another thread. After i did it a whole slew of my registered users lost their avatars pics so i deleted the user group and had to update the user title and ranks for things to go back to normal. Now i'm afraid to mess with it again.
                  Thanks for the reply
                  Where can that tutorial be found? Thanks
                  -Luis M

Comment

• TravelTalk
                    • Jun 2013
                    • 4.2.X

I set up a user group : Registered Users Awaiting Post Preview
                    in my old forum I was using 4.2.4 and had under
                    Moderation, Moderate Threads, Moderate Posts, Attachments , etc
                    But using 5.3.2 I can't find those subs or don't know how to set those up so I can have multiple users that fall under Post review.

So even though I made the extra User group of
                    Registered Users Awaiting Post Preview, and placed a few users there. I have nowhere to release their posts, if they try to post

Any ideas ?

Thank you

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Click on "Notifications" in the header and then Moderation in the left column on that page.

If you have vB Messenger turned off, then Notifications and Messages will collapse into a single link and will be labeled 'Messages.'

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TravelTalk
                        • Jun 2013
                        • 4.2.X

Click on "Notifications" in the header and then Moderation in the left column on that page.

If you have vB Messenger turned off, then Notifications and Messages will collapse into a single link and will be labeled 'Messages.'
                        Thank you WL ...

Never used that way to release post reviews or work a forum . Always used the Admin panel

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Methodologies change over time.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...