Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

That is a very old version of Apache. You can find out the instructions for enabling mod_rewrite in that version on the Apache website: https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/rewrite/.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• alfreema
      • Sep 2017
      • 5.3.x

Would his site work without .htaccess being in the primary folder? The default vBulletin redirects are inside an <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>, so I would think it's already enabled or his site wouldn't work? Unless there is some magic inside the index.php that can handle redirects without the .htaccess?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

No, the rewrite rules in the .htaccess have to work for vBulletin to function. Otherwise, t

What he is trying to do is redirect a folder to another location but once you're already in the folder and the web server has already processed things. It would be trying to redirect /forum533/forum533 since the redirect is already in the forum533 folder. At least that is what the image in post #9 is telling me.

With the amount of time this has taken to resolve the redirect, it would have been easier just to put a search module on a custom page to show results from node 14 and then set it as the home page. Switching to have the "Latest Activity" tab as the default would have the same effect. Otherwise, vBulletin simply isn't designed to be just a single channel forum. It never was. Workarounds with redirects may have been easier in the past because routing was pretty basic and didn't deviate.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• alfreema
          • Sep 2017
          • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          With the amount of time this has taken to resolve the redirect, it would have been easier just to put a search module on a custom page to show results from node 14 and then set it as the home page.
          That's a great answer and he'd probably be open to that if you explained how to do it.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Otherwise, vBulletin simply isn't designed to be just a single channel forum. It never was. Workarounds with redirects may have been easier in the past because routing was pretty basic and didn't deviate.
          I get it. If I was in support I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole either.

This is a pretty basic redirect and Apache can easily handle it -- something perfect for the community to chime in on on this forum IMHO. If /forum533$ was screwing with the router, I would expect Apache to throw an error. I don't think having a subdirectory matters in this instance, because the RewriteRule should be preempting the index.php logic. Why don't you see if your search module idea will satisfy though -- I doubt he realizes the application will do what he wants without reconfiguring the web server.

Comment