No announcement yet.

Turning off comments in a published article doesn't seem to work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Bug / Issue] Turning off comments in a published article doesn't seem to work

So I have a test article published, with comments enabled. I used another test user to post a comment.

Now, I edit the article, and turn comments off. But the setting does not stick. After I click "Save", and then go edit it again, the setting has gone back to enabled. Can't you turn off comments once it was published with them on?

Could not confirm that. After I deactivate the comments (one comment of another user is posted) it is still deactivated after edit a second time. Tested with 5.3.4.
    vBulletin-forum.de | Das deutschsprachige vBulletin 5 Forum! | Widgets, Mods und Anleitungen auf deutsch.
    Team online, Navbar UnreadCount, Moderation-Info, New: Show hook-positions, Auto-close Threads, Latest Likes, Top-Posters PRO

Comment

I just tried it again, 5.3.4. I cannot turn comments off.

1. Test Article, with one comment from another user.
      2. I'm logged in as admin, and am the creator of the article.
      3. I click on the little Edit pencil icon at the bottom of the article.
      4. I set Comments to Off, and then click the Save button.
      5. The comments are still there, and so is the comment box.
      6. I click the edit button again; Comments is back to On.

Comment

• In Omnibus
        In Omnibus commented
        Editing a comment
        Comments don't turn off for administrators. Try posting a comment as a registered member after turning them off.

• StephenKay
        StephenKay commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not allowing me to turn off the commenting. It simply will not remember the off setting. Guests and another test member can still see and post comments after I save it with comments off. Because it doesn't save the comments off setting for some reason.

Admins will always be able to post comments. Guests should not be able to post comments at any time with default permissions. personally, I recommend not letting guests create any content on your site. That is just asking for spam.

I can't recreate the issue myself. It could be some addon is preventing that variable from being updated. Anyway, try closing the topic/article from the gear menu. Existing comments would remain on the article.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

• StephenKay
        StephenKay commented
        Editing a comment
        Admins will always be able to post comments.
        This does not appear to be the case. I created a new article, no photos. I published it. The comment box is available. I edited it and turned comments off. Hit SAVE. Now the comment box is gone and it shows "posting comments is disabled" - for me, the admin.

I duplicated the original problem. It appears to be a bug related to articles with photos. Please see my last post in this thread.

I have no add-ons.

I created a new test article, and indeed, I can turn comments off and on and it works as expected. With this other first test article, it turns out I cannot change ANY of the advanced settings. Not just enabling/disabling comments, but page view, public preview etc. I change them, save the article, re-edit it and they have all reverted back to what they were. Somehow, my first test article got stuck in some way.
      Last edited by StephenKay; Tue 5th Dec '17, 6:52pm. Reason: removed erroneous information

Comment

I have now duplicated the problem. It has to do with articles with photo attachments (my first test article had a photo, the second did not). Do this:

Create a new article, give it a title and some text.
        Add a photo to it by clicking on the camera icon. I added a photo from a photo album. Do nothing else to it, default settings.
        Click the POST button with the default settings (Comments On) to publish the article.
        View the article - commenting is enabled.
        Edit the article. Turn all of the display options off, including Comments Off.
        Click the SAVE button.
        View the article - comments box is still available.
        Edit the article again - all display settings have reverted to their previous settings, including Comments On. You cannot edit them.

Comment

Sounds like a bug that deserves a JIRA. Be sure to include the steps to reproduce.

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...91&issuetype=1
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Filed. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-17976

Comment

Working...
            X