X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kacghia
    • Jul 2016
    • 4.2.x

Invalid Server Response.

Hello, have an issue. Seems when I try to write long posts I have an issue when I try to post it. I get an error "Invalid Server Response Please try again. I have shorten my message and was able to post with out any issues.

I had this issue for a while when trying to post a few images, I switched from FireFox to Chrome and was able to post it. When trying to make another long post I seen this error again, only allowing me to post once I made my message shorter by half.

I am using VB5.3.4

Maximum Characters Per Post = 0
    Last edited by kacghia; Tue 5 Dec '17, 9:46am.
  • kacghia
    • Jul 2016
    • 4.2.x

Very strange, if I preview my post it gives me a 403 error. I have chmod 777 and tried a few other on my whole folder, I can make normal posts just fine. Just seems when I try to post a lot of paragraphs with maybe some bb code it is causing an issue.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Probably mod_security. Ask your hosts which rule is being triggered, they will need to disable or amend that rule.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• kacghia
        • Jul 2016
        • 4.2.x

Thanks for the reply. I contacted namecheap and they told me they only had one trigger on Dec 2nd. But I am still getting invalid server response when I try to post some other larger things even on a fresh install of VB.

Last edited by kacghia; Tue 5 Dec '17, 9:46am.

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

If it's Namecheap's basic $9.99 a year package (or whatever it is), you're going to struggle to run vBulletin on there.

To rule out mod_security, they will really need to disable it completely for a short time and see if the problem stops.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------

Comment

• kacghia
            • Jul 2016
            • 4.2.x

Was the 30 a year, but think same thingish. Can I ask what specs you feel would be better suited then a shared hosting?

I spoke with them for a while, they tried a lot but at the end they said I can post on the forums normally, so they feel its the software issue. Only happens when I make a certain post not really sure why it does that to me.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by kacghia
              Was the 30 a year, but think same thingish. Can I ask what specs you feel would be better suited then a shared hosting?

I spoke with them for a while, they tried a lot but at the end they said I can post on the forums normally, so they feel its the software issue. Only happens when I make a certain post not really sure why it does that to me.
              Ah, the old "hosts blame the software" trick again.
              Seems to ignore the fact the software is installed on thousands and thousands of sites worldwide, without issue. Hosts always do this when they don't want to help.

It's definitely server security software of some sort. If they can't or won't help you, you'll need a better host.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• kacghia
                • Jul 2016
                • 4.2.x

Ok, thanks.

Comment

• kacghia
                  • Jul 2016
                  • 4.2.x

I have installed this now on a VPS and a dedicated server machine as well at a different host. All are giving me the same result. I have downloaded the package again and tried that as well. This doesnt happen with every post, only one that I have pre-written out. I can post it when I remove half of my post(I tried to see if it was directly related to something I couldnt). I tried to post on here it was fine when I did. I was even able to post a big massive lurem ipsum no issues.
                  Any thing else left for me to try?
                  Last edited by kacghia; Tue 5 Dec '17, 9:12pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

You're simply not giving enough information to solve the problem. A 500 Invalid Server Response message can be triggered by a 1000 different things. It is pretty generic. So that information alone tells us nothing.

See: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...swered-quickly
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• kacghia
                      • Jul 2016
                      • 4.2.x

1. vBulletin Version 5.3.4
                      2. Any Addons installed No.
                      3. Does the issue occur in a default style? Yes
                      4. Does the issue occur using the English language provided? Was set in English only option I seen.
                      5. Error message on the screen' Invalid server response when I post a pre-made post I have. 403 when I try to preview the post.
                      6. Browser and Browser version used. Firefox and chrome newest.
                      7. Did you clear the browser cache and did the error continue? Yes, had others test as well.
                      8. A list of steps that can be used to recreate the issue. Send me a PM if you need to do this.
                      9. If the issue is an Invalid Server response, the web server and PHP logs that correspond with its timestamp. I saw no errors in the apache logs. I even cleared the logs recreated the issue and it didn't generate.

Also no 500 error, just the invalid server response. Please try again later when I try to make a premade post that I have. Also gives a 403 when I try to preview the error.

I did put the site into debug mode and noticed something maybe odd?

Error from Console:
                      Network:

When I preview the "Load Preview" I see there is a captcha to be completed, I do have captcha turned off(even tried to turn it on to see if it would load for me). The same is for the other 2, load-preview and text.
                      Last edited by kacghia; Wed 6 Dec '17, 12:02pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Turn off mod_security on the server. Does it work then?

[LIST=1]
                        When I preview the "Load Preview" I see there is a captcha to be completed, I do have captcha turned off(even tried to turn it on to see if it would load for me). The same is for the other 2, load-preview and text.
                        Monosnap screenshot tool for Mac and PC with own cloud storage. Take screenshots, record videos and upload files directly to the cloud. Just in one click.
                        This isn't a vBulletin response.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• kacghia
                          • Jul 2016
                          • 4.2.x

I tried looking that up, wasnt sure if that was only a cpanel thing or was really on dedicated servers and VPS servers. Where would that be located?

I think this may be related to cloudflare, I am looking more into it.
                          Last edited by kacghia; Wed 6 Dec '17, 11:52am.

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

I tried looking that up, wasnt sure if that was only a cpanel thing or was really on dedicated servers and VPS servers. Where would that be located?

I think this may be related to cloudflare, I am looking more into it.
                            You are best off asking your host regarding server-related stuff. We can only really help with issues directly related to vBulletin.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

mod_security is an Apache module. It would be in the Apache configuration. Googling for mod_security should provide tutorials.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment