Updating vbulletin 5 to current version

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• josueinaki
    replied
    Thank's for all the info. I will read this carefully and try. Thank you again.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    In the config file I know there's the image upload change which changed in 5.3.4, and there's also two factor authentication which was wadded several releases back.

If you want to be certain, make a new config file out of the the one in download, and repopulate the database credentials etc.

Nothing will break though if you stick with the existing one so don't worry.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    Why not just delete the favicon.ico file before uploading?

Or better yet, give your favicon.ico file a unique name and update the favicon stylevar to point to your custom image. Then in the future, it won't be overwritten.

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You might want to compare your existing /core/includes/config.php file with the one in 5.3.4. It has changed and been updated. The changes cover image uploads, two-factor authorization, and admincp/modcp security by IP Address. There may be other fixes in the file. I would have to reread all the release announcements for the last year to find out.

The /.htaccess file has been updated as well so you would compare your existing one with htaccess.txt to determine if you want to carry those changes over.

Leave a comment:

• alfreema
    commented on 's reply
    0. Put your current system into maintenance mode (AdminCP --> Settings --> Options --> Turn your vBulletin On and Off)

2) Make a copy of your favicon.ico if you have a custom one specific to your site because it will get overwritten unless you upload everything _except_ the favicon.ico.

I just went through this so I am adding to the very helpful list that Mark posted for me elsewhere.

Your users will see you are in maintenance mode the entire time you are upgrading.

• Mark.B
    replied
    Yes, except you don't touch the existing config files and you run upgrade.php not install.php.

****BACK UP THE DATABASE & FILES FIRST****

1. Download the 5.3.4 files from the members area.

2. Upload all files to your server/webspace/whatever

3. Browse to yourforumpath.com/core/install/upgrade.php.

4. Enter your customer number and the upgrade will proceed.

5. Delete the /core/install directory after the upgrade has finished.

Leave a comment:

• josueinaki
    replied
    I trying update from 5.2.4 Patch Level 2 to current version

So I upload a entire forum installer and run like I installing this for the first time?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    If you're upgrading from an earlier version of vBulletin 5, yes.

Upload the new files.
    Run /core/install/upgrade.php
    Delete /core/install when that is done.

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    replied
    From which version are you upgrading?

Leave a comment:

• josueinaki
    started a topic Updating vbulletin 5 to current version

Updating vbulletin 5 to current version

After doing a backup can I simply upload the files and replace them?