• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Lingo
    By the way, I just remembered how WP handles the problem you described: if you have a buy-pear article and then you create another article named always buy-pear then the second one would be name buy-pear-1 , this way you got the number in the url only if necessary.
    Problem with that method is, you need some means to check ALL the existing thread titles when submitting a new thread.

On a site with a few thousand threads....not too big an issue.
    On a site with millions of threads...good luck!
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• medved
      • Apr 2008

If that "ROUTE BY NODE" is so good solution, why this website is not using it? Look how this link is displaying:

vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-5-connect/vbulletin-5-connect-feedback/4327340-%C4%8D%C4%BE%C2%9A%C4%8D%C5%A5%C2%9E%C3%BD%C3%A1%C3%AD%C3%A9%C2%9E%C3%BA%C3%A4%C3%B4%C5%88-%C4%8D%C4%BE%C2%9A%C4%8D%C5%A5%C2%9E%C3%BD-%C3%A1%C3%AD%C3%A9%C2%9E%C3%BA%C3%A4%C3%B4%C5%88

with properly done urls you should see this instead:

vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-5-connect/vbulletin-5-connect-feedback/4327340-clsctzyaiezuaon-clsctzy-aiezuaon

ROUTE BY NODE is a lousy solution that is not helping at all.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

What browser are you using that shows the actual entities? I see the characters in Chrome. However, this site is not using UTF-8 so there can be problems still.

Route by Node isn't a solution. It is so people can access nodes and rename them if they have broken URLS. It was never meant to be a solution. Just a tool to help troubleshoot things.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• medved
          • Apr 2008

OK, so it is a lousy "tool" then. The actual entities shows in any browser. No reason to discuss it any further as I know nobody cares enough to fix it. I mentioned it here long time ago and nobody cares:

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

It's important to note that "fixing" this involves a major refactor of the existing routes system. It's not a trivial matter and would probably take many months of work to get it in the product. That will have a bearing on whether it is ever changed or not.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by medved
              OK, so it is a lousy "tool" then. The actual entities shows in any browser. No reason to discuss it any further as I know nobody cares enough to fix it. I mentioned it here long time ago and nobody cares:
              https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...A4%C3%B4%C5%88
              I mean in the Address bar of the browser. Showing the entities in the text of the post is a completely different issue.

We've actually put quite a bit of work in resolving this issue but don't have a publishable solution yet. The primary issue is upgraded databases because we actually don't know what the content in that database will look like.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• medved
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Mark.B
                It's important to note that "fixing" this involves a major refactor of the existing routes system. It's not a trivial matter and would probably take many months of work to get it in the product. That will have a bearing on whether it is ever changed or not.
                In the first version of vB 5 I was told it was working fine. Later somebody decided to remove it for some unknown reason. Just put it back. Simple.

Comment

• medved
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

I mean in the Address bar of the browser. Showing the entities in the text of the post is a completely different issue.

We've actually put quite a bit of work in resolving this issue but don't have a publishable solution yet. The primary issue is upgraded databases because we actually don't know what the content in that database will look like.
                  You had that already working fine in the first version of vB 5. Just bring it back please. That's all. Simple.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by medved
                    In the first version of vB 5 I was told it was working fine. Later somebody decided to remove it for some unknown reason. Just put it back. Simple.
                    It was never working fine in the first version of vB 5.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• medved
                      medved commented
                      Editing a comment
                      But it was there. Other people say it was ok.