Reputation levels don't seem to work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reputation levels don't seem to work

Just noticed two new members. One has a post count of 6 and has 7 post likes; one has 8 posts and 10 likes.

Their reputation levels says "is a splendid one to behold" and the other "is a name known to all"

However, looking in the reputation manager these levels should be for 550 and 650 reputation level.

How is the reputation calculated? I thought it was the number of likes but maybe it is based on the ratio of posts to likes? Seems strange that just about everyone has a full bar yet some have only been members a few days. It doesn't give anything to strive for.

We've never changed the default settings from what they are.

Click image for larger version

Name:	reputation 6 posts.png
Views:	19
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	4381800Click image for larger version

Name:	reputation 8 posts.png
Views:	15
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	4381801

Reputation is calculated on a points scale system which is set in

AdminCP User Reputations User Reputation Manager

using the data from

AdminCP Settings Options User Reputation Options

It's possible you need to create a larger reputation scale.

To my knowledge there is no limit to the number of times a member can give another member reputation in vBulletin 5 as there was in vBulletin 4.

I have created a JIRA for this because it seems like there should be a limit to the number of times one member can give another member reputation in a row or within a certain timeframe.

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-17940

Comment

Thanks In Omnibus voted for that, however not sure I understand how the reputation works. How do you take reputation away, is it by removing a like to a post after giving one? I can't understand how someone could get a negative reputation except by lots of people doing just that.

The main thing we want is for members to get bars according to how many likes they have, we had a vBulletin add on "thanks button" in v4 which members liked.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post
      Thanks In Omnibus voted for that, however not sure I understand how the reputation works. How do you take reputation away, is it by removing a like to a post after giving one? I can't understand how someone could get a negative reputation except by lots of people doing just that.

The main thing we want is for members to get bars according to how many likes they have, we had a vBulletin add on "thanks button" in v4 which members liked.
      They eliminated negative reputation in vBulletin 5. Apparently it wasn't popular. You could always request it be added back.

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post

They eliminated negative reputation in vBulletin 5. Apparently it wasn't popular. You could always request it be added back.
        Thanks for that. We don't want negative reputation to be honest but as it is mentioned in the admin CP for reputation settings I wondered how it worked. Another case of something in admin that isn't available now.

Re your comment about the latest add-on, we can't add them now as we've moved to Cloud, but thanks for the info

Comment

Reputation doesn't function in the way it used to. It has been partially converted into the "Likes" system. As you get more likes, the meter under your name increases. The ranks for this are set in the admincp but they don't have the same meaning they once had.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
            Reputation doesn't function in the way it used to. It has been partially converted into the "Likes" system. As you get more likes, the meter under your name increases. The ranks for this are set in the admincp but they don't have the same meaning they once had.
            Thanks Mark, that's more or less what I thought but how come someone with only 7 likes has a full bar when the reputation level is set at 550 - what does the 550 equate to?

To bring a new user down to one bar I'd probably have to set it in the 100,000's at that rate.

Probably just have to play around with it and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
              I've been messing around with this but even setting the reputation to vast amounts and rebuilding the reputation in the update tools still gives someone with 6 likes a full metre bar under their name. What I would like is for one bar to equal a certain number of reputation power, two bars to equal another etc. etc.

I've tweaked the settings in admin CP 'reputation options' and changed the number of reputation power in the 'reputation manager' but nothing brings down the orange bar under members names.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                In Omnibus commented
                Editing a comment
                AdminCP - Maintenance - General Update Tools - Update User Reputation should rebuild the reputation using the new values.

• MrsTiggywinkle
                MrsTiggywinkle commented
                Editing a comment
                That's what I did In Omnibus and it updated the little messages that you get when you hover over reputation but the orange bar stays as it is

There's a lot of information discovered by a customer in this thread:
              https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/node/4308666

The bottom line is that it's not possible to affect how quickly the orange meter bar fills up because it's hard coded. There's a tracker entry about this here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-8423

In terms of resetting them, the rebuild reputation tool doesn't touch the meter bar and it would involve database queries, which cloud users cannot do however in extreme circumstances we can do them for you. The problem you'll have is that unless you reconfigure the reputation settings to make it harder to get reputation, they will just fill up quickly again.

The reputation/likes system needs considerable overhaul and there are various tracker entries surrounding it. As yet it hasn't been given any sort of priority though.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thanks Mark, that's exactly what's happening. Thanks for the links, they answer all my questions.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X