Properly setting up the admin contact form?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tracks78
    • Oct 2017
    • 5.2.x

Properly setting up the admin contact form?

Looks like whoever was hired to initially setup the forum I admin didn't set the contact stuff correctly, either that or it's a bug?
    It sends the email to the correctly specified address but the details are not right.
    Sending a test here's what I get:
    The following message was sent to you via the Electricbike.com Ebike Forum Contact Us form by test ( mailto:[email protected] ).
    In the email headers it says it is from the correct address but next to that <[email protected]> instead of the correct address. So just hitting reply doesn't send it to the person sending the message at all.

Also this @electricbike.com email address is not set in either the webmaster email address or the contact us address. So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to change to address that either.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

I am failing to see an actual issue here.

Under Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details, there are options for alternative emails that the contact us can be sent to. Under Settings -> Options -> Email Settings is a Bounce Email Address that can be set so that the Administrator isn't bombarded with bounced emails.

The system doesn't work with the reply because the email originates from your server and your email accounts. Spoofing this is a sign of spam and will get your server blacklisted across the web. Instead, you should click on the email link in the message as that will open a window to reply.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tracks78
      • Oct 2017
      • 5.2.x

Ok I see your point..it's just that if I click the email link to reply it won't include any other info unless I do a lot of copy/pasting.

Which wouldn't be a big deal except a lot of people using this contact form apparently seem to think it is for contacting the company that pays for the forum rather than forum administration itself, so we get many incoming messages through there and it's taking a significant amount of time. Most have nothing to do with administration.

Don't suppose there's a way to add a note above that contact form, something like "this is not for contacting company xyz, to do that here's how"?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

You can direct the contact us link to your standard company form under Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Us Details.

You can add a note by using the Edit Page functionality and adding your own Static HTML Widget to the page.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tracks78
          • Oct 2017
          • 5.2.x

Nice, it let me insert our corporate javascript support form below it so there's a choice if they need to contact the company. This will work perfectly, thank you Wayne.

Comment