X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • -=|zami|=-
    • Feb 2009

problem with translation

Hello!
    I'm starting to translate my site into Portuguese, but I've encountered a problem that I can not solve.

The site is in English, but the posts are done in Portuguese without any problems. Characters are not truncated.

However, the phrases I translate are becoming illegible when words have accentuation.
    Example: "Portugu�s". This word should appear as "Português".

I do not know how to start solving this problem. can you help me?

Thank you!
    1. vBulletin Version 5.3.3
    2. PHP Version 5.6.31
    3. MySQL Version 5.6.37
    4. Any Addons installed no
    5. Does the issue occur in a default style? yes
    6. Does the issue occur using the English language provided? no
    7. Error message on the screen none
    8. Browser and Browser version used. chrome 62.0.3202.89
    9. Did you clear the browser cache and did the error continue? yes
    10. A list of steps that can be used to recreate the issue. language & phrases > language manager > add new language > Language Code=pt and HTML Character Set=UTF-8 (remaining blank) > just enter a word that contains accentuation.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The ? in a black diamond indicates that the character isn't available. Why it is happening in phrases and not the content is unknown.

Do you have the mbstring library installed in PHP?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• -=|zami|=-
      • Feb 2009

thanks, Wayne!!

according to the information of the hosting technicians, the library is installed:
      "mbstring extension makes use of "streamable kanji code filter and converter", which is distributed under the GNU Lesser General Public License version 2.1.
      mbstring.detect_order => no value => no value
      mbstring.encoding_translation => Off => Off
      mbstring.func_overload => 0 => 0
      mbstring.http_input => no value => no value
      mbstring.http_output => no value => no value
      mbstring.http_output_conv_mimetypes => ^(text/|application/xhtml\+xml) => ^(text/|application/xhtml\+xml)
      mbstring.internal_encoding => no value => no value
      mbstring.language => neutral => neutral
      mbstring.strict_detection => Off => Off
      mbstring.substitute_character => no value => no value"

some other step to try to solve the problem?

thank you so much!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Language is tricky still. You can try using a locale that supports UTF-8 and your version of Portuguese.

Portugal = pt_PT.UTF-8
        Brazil = pt_BR.UTF-8

This will require you to set all the date and time overrides on the language settings page as well. Your hosting provider may have to install the locale at the operating system level.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• -=|zami|=-
          • Feb 2009

Hello!

Sorry for the delay in answering you!
          Could you explain how to make these suggestions you gave me?

thank you!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

You can set the locale and date / time options in the AdminCP under Languages & Phrases -> Languages Manager. Edit the language in question. The options will be listed along with links to get the required values.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• -=|zami|=-
              • Feb 2009

OK thank you!

but I make these changes only for the Portuguese package, correct? the English language pack I leave as it is, right?

Comment

• -=|zami|=-
                • Feb 2009

--------
                Last edited by -=|zami|=-; Wed 27 Dec '17, 2:32pm. Reason: error

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

If you're not using English, then you can leave it as is.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• -=|zami|=-
                    • Feb 2009

Friends, can we resume the discussion?

I'll need to stop the translation because I have two more pressing problems. To continue with the translation, I need to resolve them first. I hope to have your help.

1- package in English "damaged": in version 3.x, we began to use a package in Portuguese. this package continued to be used until now with version 5.x. however, during the translation process, I verified that this package is the package in English with the phrases changed to Portuguese. that is, in a single package I have phrases in Portuguese and English. I believe that this is not the correct method of translation. VBulletin version updates can not install a "clean" English package. The package I have is a mixture of phrases in Portuguese and English.
                    My problem: I can not change this package "damaged" by the correct English package of version 5.x, that is, a package in English only with English phrases.
                    any suggestion?

2 - accent is not being recognized: we had a problem with the site server and we need to perform a restore. from this restoration, every accent is changed by the character "?". the settings are as follows:
                    Title - English (US)
                    Allow User Selection, s Default Language, Enable Directional Markup Fix, Text Direction = yes
                    Language CodeThis is the abbreviation your language uses, such as "en" or "en-US". See here for more information. = en
                    HTML Character SetT = ISO-8859-1
                    any suggestion?

thanks!!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

1) You should translate the English package of vBulletin 5. Many phrases have changed and/or been deleted since vBulletin 3. The format of variables have changed even. You will have problems if you try to translate it.

2) If you restored an old database then the UTF-8 changes above would have been reverted. All settings are stored in the database.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• -=|zami|=-
                        • Feb 2009

Thank you Wayne!

1) but how to remove the current English package to use the correct package for version 5?
                        another question about translation. I have read these guidelines:

but I did not feel safe, especially about the creation of the new translated package. my question: how to translate the package in English and create a package in Portuguese?

2) I understood. but what settings should I change to resolve the issue?

thanks!
                        Last edited by -=|zami|=-; Fri 5 Jan '18, 4:22am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

1) You shouldn't remove the default English language package. You don't want to make any changes to it. It will be upgraded every time you upgrade the software and will always be up to date. You shouldn't be translating English. When you want to do a translation, you will need to create a new Language, name it Portuguese and translate in that language. The translation should be done in the AdminCP and not in the .xml file.

Once you have your Portuguese language ready, you can set it as the language that people see under "Settings -> Options -> Style and Language Settings"

2) In your new language, you need to change the character encoding to "UTF-8". Then you need to set the Locale to the UTF-8 version of Portuguese. You can Google this. Then you must change the date and time information as specified on the page. Same as I mentioned in Post #5.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• -=|zami|=-
                            • Feb 2009

1) Okay, I got it. my question was because my English package is very much changed. I thought there was some way I could exchange this changed package for an English package without any change.
                            the translation process has become clearer to me now: languages & phrases> language manager> add new language. in this package that I will create is that I will execute the translation process. thank you!

2) Thanks, again!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

1) You shouldn't be using an "English" package. Just use the English installed on the system. Yes, the language in vBulletin 5 is very much changed from 3 and 4. You cannot use language packs from 3 and 4.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment