X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alfreema
    • Sep 2017
    • 5.3.x

Turn off spam checking

How do I turn off the spam checking for posts by my registered and verified users? Far too many legitimate posts are being blocked awaiting moderation and I don't have problems with spammers auto-registering.
  • delicjous
    • Mar 2014
    • 6.X

Had the same problem a few days ago. It is a problem comes with the Akismet spam-check. I disabled it completely!

Comment

• alfreema
      • Sep 2017
      • 5.3.x

Originally posted by delicjous
      Had the same problem a few days ago. It is a problem comes with the Akismet spam-check. I disabled it completely!
      Awesome! Will turn that bad boy off.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Each channel has a permission per usergroup to override the spam checks. Usergroups -> Channel Permissions.

Editing Permissions on the Home Channel would affect all channels which inherit permissions across forums, blogs, social groups and articles.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• alfreema
          • Sep 2017
          • 5.3.x

Hmm, I will need to dig into that a bit further.

Comment

• alfreema
            • Sep 2017
            • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            Each channel has a permission per usergroup to override the spam checks. Usergroups -> Channel Permissions.

Editing Permissions on the Home Channel would affect all channels which inherit permissions across forums, blogs, social groups and articles.
            So after turning Akismet off, we started getting lots of spam posts, that otherwise would have been moderated. So I have to turn Akismet back on. So I came back here to understand further what you posted, but I don't see how it helps. The problem is Akismet is causing us to have to approve lots of legitimate posts from long term users that we didn't have to deal with back in vb4. Is there some setting where users can be exempt from spam checking if they have, say, 20 or more posts? Or any other setting you can think of where our legitimate users won't get their posts blocked? I need my long term users to not get caught up in Akismet.

Comment

• delicjous
              • Mar 2014
              • 6.X

Maybe this could help you: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog...or-new-members.
              I look after some forums with a lot of users. Even in vB5 there is no spam. Which "Human Verification Manager" do you use? We had less spam after activating "reCAPTCHAâ„¢ 2.0"

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

Originally posted by alfreema

So after turning Akismet off, we started getting lots of spam posts, that otherwise would have been moderated. So I have to turn Akismet back on. So I came back here to understand further what you posted, but I don't see how it helps. The problem is Akismet is causing us to have to approve lots of legitimate posts from long term users that we didn't have to deal with back in vb4. Is there some setting where users can be exempt from spam checking if they have, say, 20 or more posts? Or any other setting you can think of where our legitimate users won't get their posts blocked? I need my long term users to not get caught up in Akismet.
                You would create a new usergroup that is an exact copy of the registered usergroup, but set this group to override spam checks.
                Then move all your 'known' users into it.
                Then set up a promotion that promotes new users from the original registered group, to the new group, once they have a certain number of posts.
                Last edited by Mark.B; Thu 2 Nov '17, 9:42am.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Promote your long term members into a usergroup where their entries aren't checked for spam.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• alfreema
                    • Sep 2017
                    • 5.3.x

Originally posted by delicjous
                    Maybe this could help you: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog...or-new-members.
                    I look after some forums with a lot of users. Even in vB5 there is no spam. Which "Human Verification Manager" do you use? We had less spam after activating "reCAPTCHAâ„¢ 2.0"
                    I am using reCAPTCHA 2.0. It was more effective when I had the challange question on, so I might switch back to that.

Comment

• alfreema
                      • Sep 2017
                      • 5.3.x

Promote your long term members into a usergroup where their entries aren't checked for spam.
                      Ugh, there are literally thousands of users. And this creates a long term management problem almost as bad as approving random posts.

Did something change between vb4 and vb5? I don't recall ever having to approve anybody's post in vb4.

Comment

• alfreema
                        • Sep 2017
                        • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Mark.B

Then set up a promotion that promotes new users from the original registered group, to the new group, once they have a certain number of posts.

Oh wait! Is this something I can automate? If so, this is a great solution!

Edit: Okay, I found promotions! Now I get it. This is great!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Ugh, there are literally thousands of users. And this creates a long term management problem almost as bad as approving random posts.

Did something change between vb4 and vb5? I don't recall ever having to approve anybody's post in vb4.
                          Spam checking is better and actually works in vBulletin 5. It will even catch spam when a user comes back 5 years later and edits their posts. Had that happen quite a bit on this site lately.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment