I lost my Admin password. Is there a way I can find it on the VBulletin files?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elindo
    • Sep 2016
    • 1.1.x

Or what is the best way to recover it exactly?
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Here are the instructions on how to restore an admin account for when you cannot access the old admin account, have lost the password, got hacked, or you can't receive the lost password email from http://www.YOUR-DOMAIN.com/YOUR-FORUM-DIR/lostpw

Note: Change that link to your forum URL of course.

Browse to your forum and log out if you aren't already. Register as a new user and login as this user.

In vBulletin's .zip file you can find a directory called 'do_not_upload/'. Inside this directory is a file called 'tools.php'. Upload this file into your forum's /core/admincp/ directory. You should also upload the /core/install/ directory from the /upload/ folder.

Then go to the /admincp/tools.php file with your browser.

At the bottom of the tools page is an option to 'Reset Admin Access'. Run it with the just newly registered username.

Then delete the tools.php file, and the /core/install folder. It is a potential security risk if you leave it on-line.

You have just made yourself admin. And you need this because you should now login to the admincp/ and find the user who's password you've lost. Search for this user and when found you will see the whole profile. Including a password field.

Set a new password.

Go to the main forum and log out as the new user, and try to login with the old admin account. This should work now.

When it works, go back into the admin control panel and find the newly registered user. The profile page will have a dropdown in the top, from there select delete and delete the temporary admin.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

As Mark states, the best way is to reset the password.

It would be very irresponsible of us to store the password in a file or even in the database in a way that it could be viewed and recovered. By default vBulletin 5 passwords are stored as a Hash using the Blowfish algorithm combined with a randomly generated salt that is created for each user. This makes them unrecoverable as plain text.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• elindo
        • Sep 2016
        • 1.1.x

/admincp/tools.php is giving me a File not found (404 error)

If you think what you're looking for should be here, please contact the site owner.

** I use "home" as the folder where I have VBulletin files **

I uploaded Tools.php file from the /do_not_upload folder to home/core/admincp/

I uploaded home/core/install to home/core/install.

Why would I be getting 404 error? Do I need to upload the folders in a different location?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

You need to upload the tools.php file into the /core/admincp directory before you can use it. It is in the do_not_upload folder. When you're done, you need to delete it because having it on the server is a security risk.

In order to use tools.php you will also need to upload the /core/install directory. It should also be deleted when you're done.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• elindo
            • Sep 2016
            • 1.1.x

I got access to admincp !

I had to go to /home/admincp/tools.php *home is the folder where I have all the VBulletin files*
            Then deleted tools.php and intall folder from the VBulletin files.

Now... I am at admincp.... in which area do I find my old profile and make an admin and change the password again?

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by elindo
              I got access to admincp !

I had to go to /home/admincp/tools.php *home is the folder where I have all the VBulletin files*
              Then deleted tools.php and intall folder from the VBulletin files.

Now... I am at admincp.... in which area do I find my old profile and make an admin and change the password again?
              Just search for your username on the front screen of the admincp, and change the password as you would for any user.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment