Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• naszeaudio
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B

You probably will, until 5.3.4 is released (and you upgrade to it).
    Fair enough.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by naszeaudio

Thank you, I hope after this DB cache deletion I will not need to do it again.
    You probably will, until 5.3.4 is released (and you upgrade to it).

Leave a comment:

• naszeaudio
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    Routine database maintenance for most site owners would be to create database backups and store at least two copies of them. One copy should be in a backup folder that is at the same level as your public_html folder. The other copy should be stored on your local machine or cloud storage such as OneDrive. Other maintenance would be handled by the server administrator with the hosting company.
    Thank you, I hope after this DB cache deletion I will not need to do it again.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Routine database maintenance for most site owners would be to create database backups and store at least two copies of them. One copy should be in a backup folder that is at the same level as your public_html folder. The other copy should be stored on your local machine or cloud storage such as OneDrive. Other maintenance would be handled by the server administrator with the hosting company.

Leave a comment:

• naszeaudio
    replied

No. There isn't really any that you need to do. Databases should tick along just fine without any manual intervention.
    Things like the optimize and repair tools in the admincp are there not as routine maintenance tools but for use in the event of a problem.

I do realise that they sit under "Maintenance" in the admincp which is probably where some of the confusion arises.
    Yes it is confusing. Especially when there is no manual, and no indication that work on DB has to be done in specific way.
    I can see now, my forum feels so light and quick. Massive difference.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied

Is there any manual for site/DB maintenance?
    No. There isn't really any that you need to do. Databases should tick along just fine without any manual intervention.
    Things like the optimize and repair tools in the admincp are there not as routine maintenance tools but for use in the event of a problem.

I do realise that they sit under "Maintenance" in the admincp which is probably where some of the confusion arises.

Leave a comment:

• naszeaudio
    replied

Well, it is at the moment until the improvement goes in in 5.3.4.
    That's more site maintenance than database maintenance, technically.
    Is there any manual for site/DB maintenance?

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied

Ok, so routine DB maintenance is:
    DELETE FROM cache
    DELETE FROM cacheevent
    DELETE FROM searchlog

Correct?
    Well, it is at the moment until the improvement goes in in 5.3.4.
    That's more site maintenance than database maintenance, technically.

Leave a comment:

• naszeaudio
    replied

As Wayne has indicated, repair and optimize are not 'routine maintenance' commands and should never be run unless there is a specific reason to do so.
    Ok, so routine DB maintenance is:
    DELETE FROM cache
    DELETE FROM cacheevent
    DELETE FROM searchlog

Correct?

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied

Thank you for information Wayne.

I was using commends from drop menu in adminmyphp (at the bottom of 'Structure'). Check all -> With selected: Optimize Table. I am not sure if I used repair there. I have couple engines on server but: "InnoDB is the default storage engine on this MySQL server"
    It did not crash yet so hopefully everything is fine. When I use check selected table everything is 'OK'.

I know there is optimize/repair table in admin panel and this I have used many times...
    As Wayne has indicated, repair and optimize are not 'routine maintenance' commands and should never be run unless there is a specific reason to do so.

Leave a comment:

• naszeaudio
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    Optimization and Repair will not do much to improve performance of your site.

In MySQL, Optimization means delete content that is already marked for deletion. If you haven't mass deleted topics or attachments recently, there isn't any real reason to run this. Doing so won't gain anything.

Repair should only be run if a table it marked as "Crashed and should be repaired". If you're using INNODB, this actually doesn't do much of anything. With MyISAM, your site will probably be down if tables need repairing. Running a repair on tables that don't need it can cause those tables to crash, ironically.
    Thank you for information Wayne.

I was using commends from drop menu in adminmyphp (at the bottom of 'Structure'). Check all -> With selected: Optimize Table. I am not sure if I used repair there. I have couple engines on server but: "InnoDB is the default storage engine on this MySQL server"
    It did not crash yet so hopefully everything is fine. When I use check selected table everything is 'OK'.

I know there is optimize/repair table in admin panel and this I have used many times...

Leave a comment:

• naszeaudio
    commented on 's reply
    Ok, now I know that I will help us a lot. People were pushing me to move to other forum engine, frustration was growing, as everything was slow.

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Optimization and Repair will not do much to improve performance of your site.

In MySQL, Optimization means delete content that is already marked for deletion. If you haven't mass deleted topics or attachments recently, there isn't any real reason to run this. Doing so won't gain anything.

Repair should only be run if a table it marked as "Crashed and should be repaired". If you're using INNODB, this actually doesn't do much of anything. With MyISAM, your site will probably be down if tables need repairing. Running a repair on tables that don't need it can cause those tables to crash, ironically.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied

Will do, thanks.

Well, it is very fast now.
    It was very frustrating for lots of people on my forum...After 18 months DB was 3.1GB, and now went down to 771MB after your suggested comments. Shocking.

I decided to skip 5.3.3, good to hear 5.3.4 will have this implemented.

It's not so much implemented, it's more a fix to prevent the issue occurring in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• William Thomas Jr
    replied

I decided to skip 5.3.3, good to hear 5.3.4 will have this implemented.
    I was experiencing the same issues as you while using 5.3.2. The issue was actually resolved or didn't rear its nasty head in 5.3.3. I see it really doesn't matter now though since Alpha versions of 5.3.4 are now released, and it is officially addressed.

Enjoy,
    William

Leave a comment: