X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daryn
    • Nov 2008
    • 3.7.x

Best way to do a private subforum?

I'm looking to do a private subforum that only a specific usergroup can see. Ive created both the forum and usergroup, then added the users to the group as a secondary user. It sort of works. users can see the forum, they can post to it, but their posts get automatically moderated in every forum they now post in. On the other hand, if I remove them from the new group then they can post without any issue, but they can't see the new forum, obviously.

So then this seems like a setting in the usergroup itself. I created the group based on the Registered Users group, so I would've thought it would've worked the same as that group, but it doesn't seem to. Are there any settings I should be looking at? My forum is on 5.3.3.

I know, it's probably something super dumb and I'm going to feel like (more of) an idiot when it's pointed out.
  • delicjous
    • Mar 2014
    • 6.X

In channel-permissions you have to check:

Follow Channel Moderation RulesIf no, posts are always placed into moderation queue -> have to set to yes for no moderation

and in usergroup-permission is

Require Moderation for Posts -> have to set to no for no moderation.

Comment

• Daryn
      • Nov 2008
      • 3.7.x

I just had a look at both of those and they were set that way. So I'm not sure why this is going on.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Make their secondary usergroup a primary usergroup and eliminate any secondary. There is a bug about this but it keeps getting lost in the shuffle. You can see the JIRA here:

I've just added it to my priority list of top five support issues. Mostly because of the age of the issue and the list has an open slot at this time. However, I have limited power to change the priority of issues and what gets fixed in a particular version. To help get this issue resolved, please click on the link above and vote for it. Adding your own comments on the issue would help as well.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Daryn
          • Nov 2008
          • 3.7.x

Well I upvoted it, if that may help. I don't think I can set that group as their primary, otherwise that will be the only forum they can see. So it looks like I'm playing the waiting game.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

You can give the private group the same permissions as your registered usergroup so they can access other forums.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...