Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blogs permissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • blogs permissions

    users ( Registered Users) can not add posts to the blog

    Click image for larger version

Name:	blg.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	4378380
    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...re-waiting-for

  • #2
    Have they been given permission by the Blog Owner? Generally, Admins don't want everyone to be able to create new Blog Posts.
    Translations provided by Google.

    Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

    Comment


    • #3
      what are the necessary permissions in this case (see the screenshot)

      thank yoy


      Click image for larger version

Name:	bblg.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	4378406

      Attached Files
      https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...re-waiting-for

      Comment


      • #4
        The permission to create a new blog would be "Can Create Channels". For some reason, everyone is afraid of this permission and turns it off. Then you have issues like this.

        A user must have their own blog before they can create Blog Entries.
        Translations provided by Google.

        Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          The permission to create a new blog would be "Can Create Channels". For some reason, everyone is afraid of this permission and turns it off. Then you have issues like this.

          A user must have their own blog before they can create Blog Entries.
          I think the reason people are unsure of the 'can create channels permission' is because in v5 channels are what we called 'forums' in previous versions.

          Therefore when you move to v5, giving someone permission to create a channel seems like you are giving them permission to create forums, something you would definitely not have done in the past unless they were admin or trusted mod.

          Plus when you move from v4 to v5 some of the permissions are all new, due to new sections like blogs, articles, albums as these did not exist in v4, so they are all turned off.

          My advice to anyone moving from 4 to 5 is go through every user group permission and check they are how you want them to be after the move.
          Last edited by MrsTiggywinkle; Tue 3rd Oct '17, 11:37pm.
          __________________________________________
          We don't stop playing because we grow old;
          we grow old because we stop playing.
          GBS

          Comment


          • #6
            the permissions are correct,

            Click image for larger version

Name:	blgyes.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	4378428
            Click image for larger version

Name:	blges.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	4378429
            https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...re-waiting-for

            Comment


            • #7
              Your screenshot tells me nothing about correct permissions. What usergroup? What channel is this? What are the permissions in the parent channel?

              Are the permissions for Channel Owner, Channel Moderator, and Channel User changed? These shouldn't be altered at all. In my opinion, they shouldn't even be shown in the interface.

              Screenshots are a poor method of explaining issues without a text-based list of steps to recreate. The exception is UI based issues.
              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 4th Oct '17, 9:41am.
              Translations provided by Google.

              Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post
                Plus when you move from v4 to v5 some of the permissions are all new, due to new sections like blogs, articles, albums as these did not exist in v4, so they are all turned off.
                Blogs and Albums were introduced in vBulletin 3 as addon products and existed in the vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite. Articles were added in the vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite.

                Translations provided by Google.

                Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

                  Blogs and Albums were introduced in vBulletin 3 as addon products and existed in the vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite. Articles were added in the vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite.
                  We were just plain old 4 with no extras so missed it all
                  __________________________________________
                  We don't stop playing because we grow old;
                  we grow old because we stop playing.
                  GBS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                    Your screenshot tells me nothing about correct permissions. What usergroup? What channel is this? What are the permissions in the parent channel?

                    Are the permissions for Channel Owner, Channel Moderator, and Channel User changed? These shouldn't be altered at all. In my opinion, they shouldn't even be shown in the interface.

                    Channel Owner, Channel Moderator, and Channel member, I have not yet understood who I am and why are there? if they do not have to be modified. why are there?

                    Screenshots are a poor method of explaining issues without a text-based list of steps to recreate. The exception is UI based issues.

                    solved the problem, missing permission on the channels (blogs)
                    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...re-waiting-for

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Channel Owner, Channel Moderator, and Channel User are "shadow" usergroups that overwrite permissions under very specific circumstances related to user-created channels. They apply to Blogs and Social Groups only. These are the only places users can create channels. They are designed to allow the system to function without Administrator intervention every time a Blog or Social Group is created. They don't need to be visible or public to do their jobs and users aren't actually added to the usergroups either as primary or secondary members. Without these, the permission system would fail under the sheer number of rows needed to control things.

                      When someone creates a Blog or Social Group, they are the owner of that group.

                      Channel Moderators are those people appointed as co-owners or moderators of Blogs and Social Groups.

                      Finally, Channel Users are the people that join social groups and subscribe to blogs to view the content.

                      Since permissions and actions are actually controlled by the channel settings when it is created, there is no need to modify these usergroups or even to have them available in the usergroup listing.
                      Translations provided by Google.

                      Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                        Channel Owner, Channel Moderator, and Channel User are "shadow" usergroups that overwrite permissions under very specific circumstances related to user-created channels. They apply to Blogs and Social Groups only. These are the only places users can create channels. They are designed to allow the system to function without Administrator intervention every time a Blog or Social Group is created. They don't need to be visible or public to do their jobs and users aren't actually added to the usergroups either as primary or secondary members. Without these, the permission system would fail under the sheer number of rows needed to control things.

                        When someone creates a Blog or Social Group, they are the owner of that group.

                        Channel Moderators are those people appointed as co-owners or moderators of Blogs and Social Groups.

                        Finally, Channel Users are the people that join social groups and subscribe to blogs to view the content.

                        Since permissions and actions are actually controlled by the channel settings when it is created, there is no need to modify these usergroups or even to have them available in the usergroup listing.
                        Forgive me Wayne but this is still really confusing me.

                        I've just done a test using a test member account. Their main usergroup is 'registered users'. Registered users do not have permission to delete posts and they can't in the forums - I checked with my test member.

                        I then created a blog as the test member

                        I was able to completely delete the posts in the blog from the database.

                        We don't want members to be able to delete completely from the database. The only way to stop that is to edit the permissions for usergroup 'channel owner' in the Channel 'Blogs' and turn off 'can delete from database'

                        However, you say that we shouldn't edit the permissions for these shadow usergroups so how else do we stop them deleting from the database?


                        __________________________________________
                        We don't stop playing because we grow old;
                        we grow old because we stop playing.
                        GBS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I see how that can be confusing. However, a blog belongs to the blog owner, not the site owner. It would be the same as if Facebook said you couldn't delete anything from your personal wall. It is a different type of content generation.
                          Translations provided by Google.

                          Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                          I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You've been very clear Wayne Luke , but I have a problem I can not figure out how to solve it

                            the problem: Private groups are visible to everyone.

                            what is the authorization I have to change?

                            thank you
                            https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...re-waiting-for

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              When you edit the group from the front-end what are the values set for group privacy? These are specific to the group itself and outside permissions. "Group Type" should be set to Moderated or Invite Only. "Who Can View My Group" should be set to Members Only for it to be private. However, there is a current bug that can prevent members from seeing groups they belong to. I believe this should be fixed in 5.3.4.

                              There are also three channel permissions that can override these settings per usergroup. You can change channel permissions by going to Channel Management or Usergroups and clicking on the Channel Permissions link. The permissions that deal with this are:

                              Can Always View Channel
                              If enabled, the user will be able to view private and invite only channels

                              Can Always Reply
                              If enabled, the user will be able to reply in channels, regardless of being a member or not

                              Can Always Post Topics
                              If enabled, the user will be able to create topics in channels, regardless of being a member or not

                              Only blogs and social groups can be considered private and/or have members at this time. Users cannot join or become members of forum or article channels. To control access to forum and article channels, you would have to set the "Can View Channel" and "Can View Topic Content" permissions as needed.

                              Translations provided by Google.

                              Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X