Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Erik08
    • Sep 2017

Some problems with vb 5.3.3

1. Download the newest vB5 release from the members' area. https://members.vbulletin.com

2. Unzip the files and go to the "upload" folder.

3. You need to rename this file:

htaccess.txt

To:

.htaccess
    (Note the 'dot' at the start)

4. You need to rename this file:

/config.php.bkp

To:

/config.php

Then, you need to rename this file:

/core/includes/config.php.new

To:

/core/includes/config.php

Then, in that file, you need to complete the following fields:

$config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum';
    Change forum to whatever your database name is.

$config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]';
    Change the email address to your own.

$config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root';
    Change root to the database username

$config['MasterServer']['password'] = '';
    Enter the database password inside the '' marks.

All other fields should be left as default, unless your database is on a separate server, in which case this will need changing:

$config['MasterServer']['servername'] = 'localhost';

5. Upload all files to your server/webspace/whatever and browse to yourforumpath.com/core/install/install.php.

6. Enter your customer number and the installation will proceed.

7. Delete the /core/install directory after the installation has finished.
    My vB 5.3.3.dosn't look like these. After I unzipped the package, here is a screen of the upload file.

"htaccess.txt" is "htaccess"
    "/core/includes/config.php.new" is "core"

Another problem is that I can't open config.php.bkp file. It's a BKP file that I can't open or edit. How can I open this file?

Attached Files
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Your folder is not set to display extensions. That doesn't alter the instructions though. That htaccess file is htaccess.txt and you need to rename it to .htaccess as per the instructions.

You rename the files before you edit them. config.php.bkp needs to be renamed to config.php. However you do not edit that file.

"/core/includes/config.php.new" is a path. The first part of that path is the 'core' you are seeing, which is a folder. You have to click through the path to get to the file, just as you would on a Windows PC.

MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• bootsie1
      • Jun 2017
      • 5.3.x

core is without the quote marks
      1) rename the htaccess.txt to .htaccess. make sure there is a period (.) in front
      2) rename the config.php.bkp to config.php
      3) rename core/includes/config.php.new to config.php

disregard post beaten to it
      Last edited by bootsie1; Fri 29 Sep '17, 12:28pm. Reason: beaten to it
      Cometbar

DartsLeague

Comment

• Erik08
        • Sep 2017

Thanks guys! Now it's ok.
        But now I can't do this step, because I am new in this field and this is my first time.

Then, in that file, you need to complete the following fields:

$config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum';
        Change forum to whatever your database name is.

$config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]';
        Change the email address to your own.

$config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root';
        Change root to the database username

$config['MasterServer']['password'] = '';
        Enter the database password inside the '' marks.
        Where can I complete these? The "config" file now is an internet explorer and can't open, but I opened it with Microsoft Word.
        Am I completing this now, before the installing? But where I should save it, after I complete the file with Microsoft Word?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

You need to open the file in a text editor, not IE. Wordpad or better yet an application like Notepad++.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Erik08
            • Sep 2017

Thanks guys!
            I made all the above, and now I am trying to install the Vb5 on my host, using Filezilla.
            But after uploading, when I try to install it, I get this error: HTTP ERROR 500:
            Last edited by Erik08; Tue 3 Oct '17, 12:21pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Verify that the information in your config.php to connect to the database is correct. Incorrect information can cause this issue. It will be fixed in the next version of the software.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Erik08
                • Sep 2017

I was trying to put the correct information and asked the hosting stuff to provide me or verify the correct info, but it seems they are some childs that don't know well their job, or don't understand what is going on. One of them promised me to try to install the forum for me, but still waiting. I am very dissapointed with them.

I got this error everytime I tried to install the forum:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at [no address given] to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/2.4.27 (FreeBSD) mpm-itk/2.4.7-04 PHP/7.1.8 Server at www(<myforum>).com Port 80
                Last edited by Erik08; Sat 7 Oct '17, 2:48am.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

You need to have the correct database credentials in the /core/includes/config.php file. Without these, you cannot install the software. If you do not know them, only your host can advise.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------

Comment

• Erik08
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Mark.B
                    You need to have the correct database credentials in the /core/includes/config.php file. Without these, you cannot install the software. If you do not know them, only your host can advise.
                    Thanks for the answer. I will write to them again on Monday and ask for the correct database credentials.

But I have a question: if they install it free for me, what do I miss? Which is the price for that? Is there a security problem, because they will have the passwords of my database and forum, or I can change them later?

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Erik08

Thanks for the answer. I will write to them again on Monday and ask for the correct database credentials.

But I have a question: if they install it free for me, what do I miss? Which is the price for that? Is there a security problem, because they will have the passwords of my database and forum, or I can change them later?
                      Well them being your hosts, they could find out your database credentials anyway. But yes you can change the password afterwards, but you need to update the config file otherwise the site will break.

I am wary of hosts who say they will install software they don't understand, for free. How much do they know about vBulletin and its configuration?
                      Hosts often mess with configuration settings just because they are there and they assume they should be changed.....yet the vast majority of configuration options in the vB config files are left exactly as they are. If they are not vBulletin experts then frankly I wouldn't let them near it.

You are better off installing it yourself, or failing that paying us to do it.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------

Comment

• Erik08
                        • Sep 2017

The server guys tried to install the vb5 for me, but couldn't. They said the software is full of errors.
                        I made all the efforts by myself, following the instructions from this forum and the manual... putting the correct credentials of database, but no result.

I have to pay now 150 dollars more, after paying 400 for the software, domain and server.
                        That's sad.. I didn't know is so difficult to install a software.
                        And I am afraid I have to pay everytime 150 dollars for updates/upgrades.
                        Very sad...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Most people install the software themselves without issue. Usually, takes about 15 minutes to do an upgrade. Your hosting provider didn't have to perform a full install when all you needed to do was rename your htaccess file to .htaccess. I think you're making things more difficult than they need to be.

What are the errors that they are saying the software is full of?

What does your vBulletin directory look right now?

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Erik08
                            • Sep 2017

I paid 150 dollars more to you to install it professionally, but you can not install it.
                            The software has some serious problems.
                            Until now I have paid 400 dollars.... but can't have the forum installed.
                            Maybe it was a big mistake choosing vbulletin.
                            Can I have my money back please? is this possible?

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Erik08
                              I paid 150 dollars more to you to install it professionally, but you can not install it.
                              The software has some serious problems.
                              Until now I have paid 400 dollars.... but can't have the forum installed.
                              Maybe it was a big mistake choosing vbulletin.
                              Can I have my money back please? is this possible?
                              The software is NOT full of errors. Hosts always say this to cover up defects in their own server configuration.

We install the software on hundreds and hundreds of sites without issue, and many thousands of customers do the same.
                              The issue is with your hosts, not the software.
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------

Comment