What do you all set for attachment image sizes?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrs.T
    • Nov 2007
    • 6.0.X

What do you all set for attachment image sizes?

Having problems with members who use iphone and iPad, their images are always too big for the attachment allowance and many are quite elderly and don't know how to resize their images before posting.

So, we have increased the size to 2000 x 2000 but is this wise? Some are still having problems anyway as their images are up to 4000 in size.

We are limiting mb size and giving each member a limit to how much they can store, which is working fine, it is just the actual dimensions that are causing a problem.

What does everyone else do regarding size of attachments? What is considered a reasonable size to set and what problems (if any) could it cause if we go too big?

Thanks for any help.

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The defaults of vB3 and vB4 are incapable of dealing with modern images without placing a strain on the server and removing image detail. In vBulletin 5, the defaults were increased to 1440 X 900 with a file size of 900,000 bytes. This is a compromise between images from 12-36 megapixel cameras, storage space, and the server resources needed. vBulletin will not automatically resize images above 4608 X 3456 (~12 megapixels) in resolution. This is to prevent overusing resources on the server. On the download version, this can be changed in the /core/includes/config.php but it cannot be changed on vBulletin Cloud.

Images above the maximum specified in the config.php file will need to be manually resized before uploading. Though, we may need to equalize the X and Y values.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• IggyP
      • Mar 2012

i think at least 1920 nowdays....for larger displays to benefit....i believe ive been setting them around 3500 or so as i also notice those many modern lazy trends in posting images...i believe it is nearly 1/3-1/2 now browsing from mobile devices....which was unthinkable a few years ago

seems like the rate its going vb will need a proper image handler before too long, or at the least a 3rd party editor that can be embedded or something....

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

I've added a couple of improvement issues to help make this a smoother process:

Image cropping, rotation, and basic editing features would be nice for the future. Especially if it could be completed client side before uploading.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mrs.T
          • Nov 2007
          • 6.0.X

Thanks Wayne I've voted for them.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

VBV-17727 has been resolved and will be added to the 5.3.4 release.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment