Moved threads keeping previous forum name in url link ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goxy63
    • Sep 2008

Moved threads keeping previous forum name in url link ...

When thread is moved to proper forum in url link we can see previous forum name which is confusing for me and also few members.
    This is probably even bad for SEO but I am not an expert for this, is there any way to change this?
    I dont remember that I had this problem with VB4

Thank you for help
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

This is intentional to prevent indexed links from breaking.

You can manually edit the URL in site builder.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• goxy63
      • Sep 2008

Will that change in site builder affect anything, cause problems and such....guess not, want to confirm as I have plenty threads that changed forums

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

When you move a thread to another forum, it should automatically change the url. The old URL is still accessible and it will do a 301 redirect to the new URL. I don't know why it's not working for you.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• goxy63
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
          When you move a thread to another forum, it should automatically change the url. The old URL is still accessible and it will do a 301 redirect to the new URL. I don't know why it's not working for you.
          To be honest I am not sure any more what is normal and what is not, I lost my "touch" with VB as since I moved to VB5 many simple things are problem for me.
          When I move forum or thread its all mixed up now, url is not changing but it keeps old forum name in link even if its in new.
          Lets say, I moved one forum under new section and there when I open new thread I got me name of old section where forum was moved from....its a mess even for future threads.

Thanks for reply

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Mar 2011
            • 5.7.X

I was referring to moving threads. But it's different when you move forums - the old forum URL is kept. As Mark said, you can manually change the URL in Sitebuilder

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
              This is the correct behavior for topics in current versions of vBulletin 5. If you're using an older version, there may be a bug that is preventing this from happing. Make sure to update to 5.3.2.

Channel names have to be manually changed. Go into the channel. Click Edit Page. Save the Page. Update the URL.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment