Recaptcha Unreachable error on registration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recaptcha Unreachable error on registration

I'm on vb 5.3.1 and I am getting a recaptcha unrechable error when trying to register users. Someone can go through the registration form, click the I am not a robot box, and then get the recaptcha unreachable error. This happens whether I use v1 or v2.

The server is an up to date ubuntu 16.04. PHP 7.1, MySQL 5.7. Everything that's on the recommended list from what I can tell.

If you have suggestions for what I might try, I'm all ears. I should probably mention the site is running with TLS. Not sure if that may have something to do with it or not.

For the moment, I'll use the old image verification. I really would like to get this sorted though.

Thanks.

Make sure you have the correct verification keys in admincp this will be in Admincp>options>human verification manager then public key private key
    Cometbar

DartsLeague

Comment

They keys are both correct. I don't think recaptcha will load if either of them aren't.

Comment

Do you have a firewall in your server that may block the Recaptcha request to google.com?
        ​​​​https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!...ha/w34kDQ33eUo

AutoLinker-vB5+vBCloud | Topic Starter Ribbon | Blur Replies for Guests | NavMenu Dropdown-vB5+vBCloud | TimedSticky | Events Module | Moderator List | Drag/Drop Upload

Comment

I have a firewall, yes, and I have ports 80 and 443 open for input and output. No change. I always keep getting "humanverify_recaptcha_unreachable". I have all the relevant php modules enabled. I just checked those again to be sure. I thought it might've been a restrictive htaccess file, but I tried out the one supplied in the package and that didn't change anything.

No idea what else to check.

Just thinking some more. I use this:
          https://github.com/mitchellkrogza/ap...ad-bot-blocker

In theory this shouldn't block Google as I can see Google's bots on the site, but who knows...
          Last edited by Daryn; Tue 22nd Aug '17, 10:57am.

Comment

The network administrator for your server may be able to provide more information on where it is failing. It could be on a router or external firewall. They may have to whitelist the IP addresses for Google Recaptcha.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

I'm the administrator. I'm not blocking any IPs through iptables. The error comes up immediately on clicking the submit buton, so as far as I can tell, it's not even attempting the connection. This isn't the only issue I'm having. but it is the one I need solving the most. I'll open a ticket.

Comment

Not sure how a support ticket will help as this isn't a bug in the software.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Should just point out I've tested an install of MyBB with recaptcha 2 on this server with the same configuration file for vhost and that worked. If it were a firewall or server configuration issue, that would not work either.

Comment

I am not sure how MyBB could use the same vhost file that we ship with vBulletin and still work. The URLs are a different structure. Will just have to take your word for it.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      I am not sure how MyBB could use the same vhost file that we ship with vBulletin and still work. The URLs are a different structure. Will just have to take your word for it.
                      Apache vhost. Basically I put it in a different subfolder. Not using your supplied .htaccess file. I probably should have been clearer on that. Either way, ticket is open and Trevor is helping me out. Something is amiss, and I don't think it's the server.

Comment

While you can put the .htaccess directives in any of your own httpd.conf, use of it is required so we can properly troubleshoot issues with the software. We don't provide support for customized directives beyond what we provide.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I should probably clarify this further, as I think you're misunderstanding me. I have your .htaccess in the root as it should be. The test install of MyBB is in a different subfolder. Regardless, this captcha isue is sorted now, thanks to a helpful support person. Only two minor issues to sort out, one of them seeming to be a regression of a bug that was pre-5.3.2. Still working through that and one more and all should be well again.

Comment

Hello Daryn,

Do you know what your Tech Support did to get it going?

Have a Nice Day!
                            RUBE
                            Thank You for Your Time!
                            RUBE

Comment

Sorry for missing this. For reference, this was simpler than I had thought. Turns out that the PHP CURL extension was missing from my install. Not sure how it got removed, but after re-installing it and restarting apache that bit worked again.

Comment

Working...
                              X