• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plongeur.com
    • Mar 2017
    • 5.2.x

Channel only accessible to a user group

Hi,

I am trying to create a channel that only members of an additionnal group can use. (normal users can see it but can't see the topics and discussions).
    Now i think i managed to do it but, and i cant figure out why, massages posted by the authorized users are always "unapproved" and i would like to be automatically approved.

The config of my user group :
    Click image for larger version

Name:	02-08-2017 09-22-10.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	4374881

Name:	02-08-2017 09-22-27.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	4374877

Name:	02-08-2017 09-25-21.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	4374875Click image for larger version

Name:	02-08-2017 09-25-36.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	4374872Click image for larger version

Name:	02-08-2017 09-25-49.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	4374879Click image for larger version

Name:	02-08-2017 09-26-08.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	4374876Click image for larger version

Name:	02-08-2017 09-26-20.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	4374874Click image for larger version

Name:	02-08-2017 09-25-36.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	4374882Click image for larger version

Name:	02-08-2017 09-26-39.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	4374878Click image for larger version

Name:	02-08-2017 09-27-28.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	4374880
    And this is the config of the special access for the group on the channel :

Name:	02-08-2017 09-20-14.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	4374883Click image for larger version

Name:	02-08-2017 09-20-46.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	4374884Click image for larger version

Name:	02-08-2017 09-21-00.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	4374885
    If someone can tell me what i can do to remove the moderation of new posts it would be very helpfull, i have to say i don't see it an di feel a bit stupid about that .
    Attached Files
  • plongeur.com
    • Mar 2017
    • 5.2.x

nobody ? help please

Comment

• plongeur.com
      • Mar 2017
      • 5.2.x

a little help please

Comment

• pmquist
        • Jan 2006
        • 5.7.X

Same issue. Is following this.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by plongeur.com
          Hi,

I am trying to create a channel that only members of an additionnal group can use. (normal users can see it but can't see the topics and discussions).
          Now i think i managed to do it but, and i cant figure out why, massages posted by the authorized users are always "unapproved" and i would like to be automatically approved.
          It is because they are in an additional usergroup and the primary usergroup doesn't have permission to post in that channel. If you set the people who can post in that channel with the proper usergroup as their primary without any secondary usergroups, their posts won't need approval.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• pmquist
          • Jan 2006
          • 5.7.X

plongeur.com, I made some tests based on what Wayne Luke said about primary and secondary usergroups, but with a different approach, and it made it work for me. This is what I did.

I only worked with permissions for the different usergroups and did not change between primary and secondary or removed any usergroups.
          1. In channel management - Forum permissions I identified all possible usergroups that users that should post in the channel could belong to. I made sure all those usergroups, on that channel, had NO in the "Require moderation for posts". I guess if you never use moderation in a forum that could be preset for all usergroups.
          2. For the same channel I went through the permissions for the Primary usergroup and set the permissions to the same as I want for the one with access to posting without moderation. Except that I removed the three view permissions (View channel, View topics and View Others topics). That hid the channel for the primary usergroup so the permission to post does not matter, I suppose.
          3. For the usergroup that I want to be able to view and post i had the same settings as above but with the three view permissions set to yes.

Maybe it us hard to understand what I mean, please comment and ask questions and I will try to explain better.
          Last edited by pmquist; Wed 6 Dec '17, 12:58pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            Wayne Luke commented
            Editing a comment
            This is a limited workaround. It would not work in places where the primary usergroup needs to view the content but cannot create new content. Like the Announcement Forum on this site.

• pmquist
            pmquist commented
            Editing a comment
            I know, but it helps the exact problem that is addressed in this post. However I tried to replicate the solution on a testchannel on my Forum, but I couldnt. So I am not sure about exact what part made it work in the first place I tested. But I keep trying to see if I can find the logic in the problem.
        • pmquist
          • Jan 2006
          • 5.7.X

I found this JIRA, that I believe handle this issue: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-12380

And also I took a look in the handbook for the latest version that says the permission system should work the same way as it did in earlier versions.

Name:	2017-12-07_11-09-29.png
Views:	199
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	4382864

I can not find a JIRA about that not working. There are several JIRAs that seems to address parts of the issue. Wayne Luke should I make a new JIRA then?

Comment

• plongeur.com
            • Mar 2017
            • 5.2.x

The doc clearly states that a secondary usergroup can only give permissions.
            So what i tried to do in the first time should work.

I ened up doing the same as you, which is basically the other way around.
            Instead of disabling access for all and enable it for a specific group you give access for all and siable it for specific groups (almos all).
            I still have a bug with this : guests user are able to see topic title although they sould not.
            1. anyway it seems there is quite some work for the dev team on authorisations ....

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

It should work as stated in the documentation. It doesn't. It won't until the open Permission issues are resolved. I have stated that all along.

There are currently 112 open issues related to Permissions alone.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• pmquist
                • Jan 2006
                • 5.7.X

I found this old JIRA from vB3 that explains why it works the way it does: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIII-3897

I made a petition to reopen it since there might have happened things in vB between version 3 to 5 that could make it easier to solve today. In the JIRA they mention a forum setting in vB3 that collided with one possible solution. I dont think that setting exists in vB5 so maybe there could be an easy way to solve it now.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

The issue was fixed in vBulletin 3 and 4. vBulletin 5 uses a new Permission system and it is a vBulletin 5 issue.

vBulletin 3 and the JIRAs reported against it have no bearing on vBulletin 5 and there is no purpose in having it reopened. vBulletin 5 is completely different software than vBulletin 3. There are already JIRAs on this issue in the vBulletin 5 project and those are what the developers will look at.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• pmquist
                    pmquist commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is fine with me. Reading the JIRA I linked to suggests that the problem was made by design and it is exactly the same functions that was transferred all the way to vB5 . But you know that better than me. Thought it was an interesting thing to point that might help you in your work.

Regards
                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...