X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexArkana
    • Apr 2007
    • 3.5.x

"The Connection was Reset" while Reindexing Search

After upgrading from vB 3.8.10 to 5.3.1, the general Search no longer worked for posts prior to the upgrade date. I kicked off the reindex process last night. I monitored for about 30 minutes; it was running fine with the default 250-record chunks, processing each set in between 6 and 9 seconds. This was going to take a while (over half a million posts), so I left and let it run. Came back today and the AdminCP screen showed me this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Connection reset.PNG
Views:	114
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	4373258

The connection was reset.

That's the only thing on the screen. I assume this refers to the database connection, but I'm not sure. I also assume reindexing did not complete but, again, I don't know for sure, as there is no other feedback. How can I know how far the reindex process got?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Tex
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

With so many posts, have you tried reindexing via command line - http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/u..._common_issues ?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TexArkana
      . How can I know how far the reindex process got?
      You don't actually need to know how far it got. If you don't clear out the searchindex, it will pick up where it left off.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TexArkana
        • Apr 2007
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Lynne
        With so many posts, have you tried reindexing via command line - http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/u..._common_issues ?
        Was saving that big gun for later. Might pull the trigger on it if needed. Thanks Lynne.

Comment

• TexArkana
          • Apr 2007
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

You don't actually need to know how far it got. If you don't clear out the searchindex, it will pick up where it left off.
          Thanks for the reply, Wayne. To make sure I understand you... If I have not emptied the search index (and I have not), and if I run Rebuild Search Index again from the AdminCP, the process should pick up where it left off?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

That is correct. Timeouts and Connection resets will be common when rebuilding the search index via the HTTP process in the AdminCP. It is a time consuming and server intensive process.

As Lynn mentioned above, if you have SSH access, then using the searchindex.php file is the preferred method. You can upload it to your vBulletin folder and run it from the command line. This removes any web server limitations. Depending on your OS, you can run it in the background as well.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TexArkana
              • Apr 2007
              • 3.5.x

Thanks for the reply, Wayne. And thank you both for your kind assistance. Much appreciated.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...