Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackhorse
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    It controls the communication between vBulletin and MySQL. Nothing more. It doesn't change how data is stored in MySQL or how vBulletin displays the data.
    It will change everything if you do upgrade or installation while you are changing this!

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    It controls the communication between vBulletin and MySQL. Nothing more. It doesn't change how data is stored in MySQL or how vBulletin displays the data.

Leave a comment:

• plongeur.com
    replied
    i don't really understand what this field does.

i still have some minor issues in this configuration so i am not sure i want to keep it as it could come and bite me in the future.
    For instance if i comment a post with a special character in the the comment i guet an error saying the comment is empty.
    Also i am planning on using spinx search and it looks like it won't search for special characters.

i will try again dumping my DB and reimporting it from scratch in utf8, maybe a still have latin1 encoded text in the utf8 tables...

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    If Latin1 works for that field, then I would set it to Latin1. The field is an interim solution. We're working to make the entire system UTF-8. Actually UTF-8 MB4. New installs that have the installer create the database already use this. However, it will take time for us to roll it out to upgrades without potential data loss.

Leave a comment:

• plongeur.com
    replied
    it really looks like for some reason the server keeps sending the latin1 charset instead of UTF8.
    I tried to change force the charset in firefox (view - encoding) to unicode, the charset issues are gone but i still have errors.

i really don't know what to do now.

Leave a comment:

• plongeur.com
    replied
    Well, everywhere i look i only see UTF8 (server collation, charset, and virables, database collation, all tables and columns collation), i honextly don't think i missed something.
    Now i could probably export and reimport the full DB with utf8 everywher just to make sure but i don't see anything else to do.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Is your database using a UTF-8 Character set and Collation?

The default is Latin1. If you didn't change it, then would use Latin1 here.

Leave a comment:

• plongeur.com
    replied
    I changed the locale and now i have something weird :

With the language settings you proposed & $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'latin1'; it seems to be working fine.
    With the language settings you proposed & $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8';i have errors.

I really don't get it.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Your languages should be UTF-8 (case matters). You should set your local to the UTF-8 variant as well so for French it would be fr_FR.UTF-8. The character set for this locale should be Windows-1252 but you don't set this anywhere.

So your language settings in vBulletin would be:
    Title: French
    Language Code: fr
    HTML Character Set - UTF-8
    Locale: fr_FR.UTF-8

If that locale is not available, your hosting provider will need to install it on the server.

There is a list of UTF-8 locales here: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Table_of_locales

Leave a comment:

• plongeur.com
    started a topic help with utf8 migration.

help with utf8 migration.

Hi everyone.

I am trying to migrate my forum tu utf8 and i have somme issues.
    A little history : the forum is online since 2003 and is now in 5.2.5. The test server i am using is in 5.3.1 and i have the same issue. Of course it was latin1 at the beginning but now it is time to grow up .

My whole DB is in UTF8, i even cumped everything and reimported it in UTF8 just to make sure.
    I did change the my.cnf file according to this : http://vbtechsupport.com/1375/3/

Now my problem :

everything (almost) works fine with :
    $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'latin1';
    languages configured to "ISO-8859-1"

I have "?" displayed on forum home and errors when browsing forums :
    $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'latin1';
    languages configured to "utf-8"

I have an error on every page with :
    $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8';
    languages configured to "utf-8"

Now, for some reason it seems the charset declaration is not sent to the browser : mozilla keeps telling the page text encoding is "windows-1252" and not UTF-8 as it is on other utf-8 sites.

what do i miss ?
    You can see the 3rd configuration at the time at https://beta.plongeur.com/forums