• Show
Clear All
  • imgnrm
    • Mar 2017
    • 5.3.x

vB 5.3.1 install failed..

Hello,
    I need your help. T- T
    I reinstalled 5.3.1 vB with my godaddy Linux Deluxe hosting. but the core/install/ page never showed.
    5.3.0 was okay with godaddy but I have had a hard time to install 5.3.1.
    I followed all the instructions as 5.3.0 version. Did I miss something for newer version?

I used to use Transmit FTP app but I don't have any access to it any more so I tried Filezilla it was very slow but I uploaded all files and went to intall/install.php but I only see blank page.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

GoDaddy is one of the worst platforms to host dynamic websites. To install on GoDaddy do this:
    1. Go into cPanel and under PHP Version make sure that the version is set to PHP 5.6 or higher. 5.3.1 will not run on a lower version.
    2. ON your local computer, go into the Upload directory and ZIP everything using a tool like 7-ZIP.
    3. Upload this one file with FileZilla. Make sure to place it in your vBulletin directory.
    4. Once the file is uploaded, go back to cPanel.
    5. Click on "File Manager". This will open a new tab or window, depending on how you have your browser is configured.
    6. Navigate to your vBulletin directory by clicking on the folder icons as necessary.
    7. Find "upload.zip" (or whatever you named it).
    8. Right Click on this file and choose Extract.
    9. Once that is done, you can run the install or upgrade script.

Note, that the script will time out several times due to the configuration of GoDaddy's Servers. On the first timeout, you should be in the final upgrade steps. At this time, change install.php to upgrade.php in the address bar and hit return. The page should reload and pick up where it left off. If it stops responding, wait 5 minutes and refresh your browser.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• imgnrm
      • Mar 2017
      • 5.3.x

Hello Wayne,

Thanks for the instructions.
      I finally completed the installation but admin CP page and homepage are still blank page and I can't login. vB 5.3.0 was fine but I don't know why I have so much problems with 5.3.1.
      I uploaded .access and modified 2 config.php as instructed. I don't know what I did wrong.

The following is my server and php info. Would you please take a look at this if it meets vB minimum requirements?

Database server
      -Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
      -Server type: MySQL
      -Server version: 5.6.35-cll-lve - MySQL Community Server (GPL)
      -Protocol version: 10 Web server

-cpsrvd 11.62.0.20
      -Database client version: libmysql - 5.1.73
      -PHP extension: mysqli Documentation phpMyAdmin

- Version information: 4.0.10.18I'm so frustrated now. before purchasing vB, I asked vB sales team what hosting I should buy but no recommendation was provided and now after I paid so much money and hard time, all people are just saying I should have VPS which I don't even know what it is and how to setup and maintain it without professional knowledge. If I was told I need VPS before buying vB, I wouldn't have bought it or just I would have tried cloud service.

I saw many posts for people having a hard time with godaddy but it didn't seem to have many clear instructions for those using regular hosting services rather than VPS.
      Is it ever possible or should we upgrade our service to VPS? Isn't there any solution beside VPS?

Please advise me... I am swimming in the pool of despair. T- T

Comment

• webgeek247
        • Mar 2006
        • 5.7.X

imgnrm You just need a web hosting account that allows more resources and offers better value for money. Large providers like GD are more about quantity than quality; they have to put as many customers on the same server as possible due to the number of customers they have!

I suggest you use a web host who offers more personal support and offers a lot more resources.

Use https://www.hostxnow.com which has SSD, lots of CPU/mem, LiteSpeed/Apache/Varnish/MariaDB/PHP 7. The list goes on. In short, much faster hosting.
        Web Hosting Forum | Fastest Hosting | Backup Storage

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Blank pages mean there is a PHP Error. Without knowing the error, we can't tell you how to fix it. Getting your site off of GoDaddy would be the first start. Due to the nature of the issue for us to really troubleshoot it, we would need complete access to your server. cPanel, phpMyAdmin, FTP, vBulletin. Off the top of my head, I would have to guess that PHP isn't configured properly and is missing a necessary library like mb_string. As your support is expired we would have to have you purchase that.

If 5.3.0, works then reupload those files and it should come back online. At least until the problem can be determined. Issues like this are why we suggest upgrading a test installation with a copy of your database first. Then you don't take your main site offline if such an issue comes up.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment