• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imgnrm
    • Mar 2017
    • 5.3.x

How to restore database.sql file...

Hello,

I would like to know how to restore my-old-database.sql that I had exported before upgrading vB.
    I've recently upgraded my vB from 5.2.6 to 5.3.0 and I have failed once when importing the database file.
    It seemed to roll back some translation I made before in the version of 5.2.6 but I couldn't login on adminCP any more.

And I heard that some says I need to add some script to import old database file. But where and how?

I am such a beginner in vB and don't know much about programming. Would you please let me know what to do step by step?

I'm using godaddy Linux Deluxe hosting service. (* Should I change my hosting service to VPS or dedicated server to use v 5.3.0 as tech recommended? )

Thank you very much for your help and time in advance.
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

Originally posted by imgnrm

I'm using godaddy Linux Deluxe hosting service. (* Should I change my hosting service to VPS or dedicated server to use v 5.3.0 as tech recommended? )
    If you're just starting a forum, having a Share plan for your hosting service may be enough for now. But once your site takes off, you would need to switch to a VPS plan (at the minimum) or Dedicated server.

What's your PHP version? vB 5.3.0's minimum requirement for PHP is PHP 5.6. Recommended version is PHP 7. If GoDaddy doesn't have PHP 7 or 5.6, then I recommend you to look for another host.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

On GoDaddy, you can restore a database by clicking the "Backup" icon in cPanel.

With GoDaddy, you will only want to switch to VPS or Dedicated Hosting if you are fluent in administrating a Linux Server. They will not provide the same level of support as they do on Shared.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• imgnrm
        • Mar 2017
        • 5.3.x

Thanks all.

I just tried restoring my old database that I had exported before re-installing by clicking 'import' in MySQL on godaddy.
        But I can't login this time with my ID/PW just before I logged in even by login to the front-end as a workaround.

I turned off my site so I can't even register my site or use 'forgot password'.
        What should I do to login?

please advise me.

Thank you always.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

You should still be able to log in with on the front-end even if the site is off. However, since you say you can't. Upload the tools.php from your do_not_upload folder to /core/admincp. Upload the /core/install directory. Point your browser to your site with /core/admincp/tools.php at the end. Enter your customer ID. Once the menu loads, you can turn your site back on there and should be able to log in. You will need to delete the /core/install directory and /core/admincp/tools.php before you can enter the AdminCP.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• imgnrm
            • Mar 2017
            • 5.3.x

Hello,
            I finally turned off the site thanks to the above instruction but I couldn't login. So I tried to reset password by entering my email address and then I got this message.
            "Image verification unsuccessful due to incorrect reCAPTCHA parameters. Contact the admin."

I guess this is caused because I didn't fully setup the reCAPTCH...because I was still in the middle of setup and upgraded vB.
            Would you please let me know how to turn off the verification? or reset the password?

I attached the screenshot.

I really appreciate your great support and help always. ^- ^

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Here are the instructions on how to restore an admin account.

Browse to your forum and log out if you aren't already. Register as a new user and login as this user.

In the vBulletin's .zip file you can find a directory called 'do_not_upload/'. Inside this directory is a file called 'tools.php'. Upload this file into your forum's /core/admincp/ directory. Also upload the /core/install/ directory (but not the install.php file within it).

Then go to the /admincp/tools.php file with your browser.

At the bottom of the tools page is an option to 'Reset Admin Access'. Run it with the just newly registered username.

Then delete the tools.php file. It is a potential security risk if you leave it on-line. Also delete the /install/ directory for the same reason.

You have just made yourself admin. And you need this because you should now login to the admincp/ and find the original admin whose password you've lost. Search for this user and when found you will see the whole profile. Including a password field.

Set a new password.

Go to the main forum and log out as the new user, and try to login with the old admin account. This should work now.

When it works, go back into the admin control panel and find the newly registered user. The profile page will have a dropdown in the top, from there select delete and delete the temporary admin.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• imgnrm
                • Mar 2017
                • 5.3.x

Hello Mark,
                I followed the instruction but I couldn't complete the Signup because the verification doesn't show up. Please see the attached.
                Isn't there workaround for this issue?

Thank you always.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Not really. We don't expect someone to be halfway through setting up recaptcha and abandon it to run an upgrade. It is expected to finish one task before starting the other. Will have to try and figure out how to fix this for you.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Try running these queries to turn off human verification:

Code:
                    UPDATE setting SET value=0 WHERE varname='hv_type';
                    DELETE FROM datastore WHERE title IN ('options','miscoptions','publicoptions');
                    If you have a table prefix set in /core/includes/config.php, you will need to add that before the table names of setting and datastore.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment