X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moneyspillsempire
    • May 2014

My Forum Isn't Running Well

Hi there,

My forum has been live for more than 5 months now and just recently I started having issues.

My site recently couldn't open and when I contacted my host I was told that my site was overloading the server. Now, I am being advised by my host to optimize my site.

My question is; how can I optimize my forum for better performance.

If there is any script for optimization purpose, I would be grateful.

Thanks for helping out.

NB: I use a shared hosting package and don't have a lot of visitors on my forum yet, so with proper optimization my site will be able to function well on a shared hosting.

Also, my forum is on vBulletin version 5.3.0
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

If I had money for every time poor hosts say this....

There is nothing to "optimise", they simply have oversold and under-resourced servers, and / or they are trying to upsell you to a higher package.

The solution is to find yourself a new host.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Mattwhf
      • May 2016
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by moneyspillsempire
      Hi there,

My forum has been live for more than 5 months now and just recently I started having issues.

My site recently couldn't open and when I contacted my host I was told that my site was overloading the server. Now, I am being advised by my host to optimize my site.
      You should check server logs or you could get an DDoS attack which made your server overload.

My question is; how can I optimize my forum for better performance.
      If there is any script for optimization purpose, I would be grateful.

Thanks for helping out.
      You can optimize your forum to have better performance but that will not help if you get DDoS on your forum or your hosting.

NB: I use a shared hosting package and don't have a lot of visitors on my forum yet, so with proper optimization my site will be able to function well on a shared hosting.

Also, my forum is on vBulletin version 5.3.0
      If you are using a shared hosting, any sites on same account could be under a ddos and your site can be affected by that.
      I would suggest you move to a VPS hosting that support DDoS protection
      Checking some offers from some providers here https://forumweb.hosting/131-vps-hosting-offers they can help you out.

In the case you didn't get a ddos attack but your site still overloads the server then mean that it is getting high traffic which shared hosting could not accommodate. In this case you also need to move to a VPS or better shared hosting with ddos protection.

Hope that helps!
      Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!
      Tranh phong cảnh, tranh nghệ thuật đẹp, bếp từ nhập khẩu chất lượng cao!

Comment

• moneyspillsempire
        • May 2014

Originally posted by Mark.B
        If I had money for every time poor hosts say this....

There is nothing to "optimise", they simply have oversold and under-resourced servers, and / or they are trying to upsell you to a higher package.

The solution is to find yourself a new host.
        I think you are right Mark.

So, which host will you recommend I use in this case.

In addition, my forum gets an average of 400 visitors per day. Is it possible to still use shared hosting in this case.
        Last edited by moneyspillsempire; Thu 27 Apr '17, 1:45pm.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2011
          • 5.7.X

What's your current host and what are the server specs?

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• moneyspillsempire
            • May 2014

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
            What's your current host and what are the server specs?
            I curreently use HostGator as my host, and I'm using a shared server.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Mar 2011
              • 5.7.X

I recommend you to get a VPS plan if you have a budget for it.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

For the size of your site, you have a lot of forums that really aren't necessary. However, with the current size of your site, it shouldn't be putting a burden on a shared hosting site. Your site is very small. We would need more information on what "Overloading the server" means specifically.

While I don't see any huge performance issues, vBulletin Cloud would definitely improve your experience. We'll even redirect users to the index.php properly.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...