Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ljianyih
    • Mar 2012

Group PNG Icon Thumbnail Problem + Moderation Issue

Hi, it appears that whenever the Icon image is not in .jpg format, the image thumbnail icon will appear as broken link in the group listing. How to fix this and is VB going to update fix on this issue?

Well if users posted a png image, it is fine if our moderators can edit the image appear on the listing. The problem is that even admin couldn't edit the group icon, and what we can only do is to delete the whole group and then create the same one and then re-upload the jpg image version. We have to constantly delete and add group forum due to the broken images as shown here - https://www.fanschats.com/fan-clubs

It may seems like this problem is not a serious or high priority ones, but it certainly pose a lot of troubles for us. Thanks.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

In the AdminCP if you go to Settings -> Options -> Message Attachment Options and trigger the rebuilds for the image sizes at the bottom, does the image show up?

On another note, I cannot recreate this on an early version of 5.3.1. We've updated how images are handled and resized again.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ljianyih
      • Mar 2012

I've tried the rebuild and it doesn't work. I got another older vb5 forum, previously the png images works as group icon thumbnail, but after rebuilding in newer version all thumbnail images are broken. You can try to simply upload a png image to the group section and the images will appear as broken link thumbnail on the group listing now.

I post here because previously it seems working fine, but after some version where the thumbnail not working, the updates follow by updates didn't get this problem fixed either. Most importantly is the admin and super moderators didn't get the access to edit the group images, so there's nothing we can do and change the broken images unless we get the user to change himself/herself.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ljianyih
        I've tried the rebuild and it doesn't work. I got another older vb5 forum, previously the png images works as group icon thumbnail, but after rebuilding in newer version all thumbnail images are broken. You can try to simply upload a png image to the group section and the images will appear as broken link thumbnail on the group listing now.
        I cannot recreate this issue on my test installations of vBulletin 5.3.0 and 5.3.1. In 5.3.0, there is an issue where a resized PNG will lose its transparency. However, this is fixed in 5.3.1.

What version of PHP are you using? Which image library? GB or Imagemagick? What is the version of the library being used?

You can see the image library settings under Settings -> Options -> Image Settings.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ljianyih
          • Mar 2012

We're using the VB cloud hosting. There are some group with png broken thumbnail, kindly check on i.e. https://www.fanschats.com/fan-clubs/page3 (there is another problem where it doesn't jump to page 3 directly, have to click for ajax pagination to page 3).

Our user created a group i.e. https://www.fanschats.com/fan-clubs/...dventure-games , the png image works fine as group image, but the thumbnail appears as broken image.

Hope this can be fixed or at least admin or moderators can gain the access to edit the group icon (the edit group icon couldn't function for now). Thanks a lot.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

It seems that some of your images aren't being resized. This can happen if the system can't resize them within the limits with a single pass. To have someone look directly at your site, it would be better to open a support ticket.

To lower occurrence of the issue, encourage users to upload square image in multiples of 200 X 200. You can also edit the image in a graphic editor like paint.net or Adobe Photoshop Elements so that the server doesn't fail on future resizing operations.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment