• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plongeur.com
    • Mar 2017
    • 5.2.x

Charset issue on user profile/about page

Hello all,

For some curious reason i have (what looks like) a charset issue on the user profile/about page. My custom attributes titles, users answers and the translated items are displayed with a � instead of the é or ù... (yes this is a french site)
    The very same title are well displayed on the register page for instance.

Any help would be much appriciated.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Those symbols mean you're using characters not in your specified character set. Make sure your language is set to UTF-8 in the AdminCP under Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• plongeur.com
      • Mar 2017
      • 5.2.x

My current charset is iso-8859-1 (latin1).
      If a change it to utf-8 i have ? symbols all over almost every page (including the profile/about page).

I can't figure out why only this page would have a different charset... the same expressions and translation are displayed without issue on other pages...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

ISO-8859-1 is the incorrect character set for your language. It is really only appropriate for English with today's modern browsers. The "?" symbols are characters that do not exist in the character set or are encoded incorrectly. The browser can't render them.

What locale do you have for your language? Does the server support that locale?

What happens if you uncomment this line in your config.php?
        //$config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8';

Remove the // to uncomment it.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2011
          • 5.7.X

When you reload the About page, does the issue still occur? I asked because if you load the Profile page then click the About tab, the content is loaded via AJAX. But when you reload the About page itself, the content is loaded normally.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• plongeur.com
            • Mar 2017
            • 5.2.x

When I refresh the page I end up on the "activity"tab again, so I have the same issue.

Regarding the charset, the forum migrated several versions drop 2003 so I guess it can explain it.
            I could probably easily go to Latin 15 but utf8 migration seems much more complicated.

Again, the odd thing is that this issue is only present with this tab, same content everywhere else is just fine.

Comment

• plongeur.com
              • Mar 2017
              • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              ISO-8859-1 is the incorrect character set for your language. It is really only appropriate for English with today's modern browsers. The "?" symbols are characters that do not exist in the character set or are encoded incorrectly. The browser can't render them.

What locale do you have for your language? Does the server support that locale?

What happens if you uncomment this line in your config.php?
              //$config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8';

Remove the // to uncomment it.
              Thanks for your help, i actually do not have this line in the vbulletin root config.php nor in the /core/includes/config.php.
              Am i looking in the wrong place ? ar maybe it was already removed before.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • Mar 2011
                • 5.7.X

Originally posted by plongeur.com
                When I refresh the page I end up on the "activity"tab again, so I have the same issue.
                When you switch to About tab, the URL should automatically change to /about and then when you reload the page, it should show the About tab not the default Activity tab.

Try it here on this site.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by plongeur.com

Thanks for your help, i actually do not have this line in the vbulletin root config.php nor in the /core/includes/config.php.
                  Am i looking in the wrong place ? ar maybe it was already removed before.
                  You're using the vBulletin 5 /core/includes/config.php and not an old version 3 copy of the file correct?

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• plongeur.com
                    • Mar 2017
                    • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

You're using the vBulletin 5 /core/includes/config.php and not an old version 3 copy of the file correct?
                    I confirm i have the right file version. Maybe the line was removed during the install (i did not install it myself...bad me )

Comment

• plongeur.com
                      • Mar 2017
                      • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
                      When you switch to About tab, the URL should automatically change to /about and then when you reload the page, it should show the About tab not the default Activity tab.

Try it here on this site.
                      I guess i do not have the standard behaviour, i get redirected to the activity page every time i hit F5. Maybe i should have a look at the .htaccess about that...

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                        glennrocksvb commented
                        Editing a comment
                        But is the url pointing to /about when you reload the page?