Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark.hs
    • Dec 2016

Merging two topics breaks the "jump to last post" feature

We recently found out that merging two topics breaks the jump to last post link. To see the issue, go to https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc.../jets-and-edfs and look for the topic "Official Freewing 70mm F-16C Falcon V2 Thread" click the "last Post" link on the far right and you will see that you are linked to the first post and not the last post.

The first post that it is linking to is actually the master thread (the one that you merge into) that we setup and merged a second thread into. Somehow when we merged these two threads it is ignoring any new posts and always linking to that master thread that we setup pre-merge. Hope that makes sense.

Is there some sort of re-index or re-setting of some counter that will solve this? I don't see anything in maintenance or even the database that will fix this.

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated.
    Admin for hobbysquawk.com
    VB 5.74
    PHP 8.2
    Maria DB 10.6
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

You can try rebuild topic information in the admincp under maintenance > general update tools.

However, even if that fixes it, I'd still log this as a bug.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• webgeek247
      • Mar 2006
      • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
      You can try rebuild topic information in the admincp under maintenance > general update tools.

However, even if that fixes it, I'd still log this as a bug.
      But keep in mind when using this it reports incorrect stats for topics and posts due to it calculating nodes rather than topics and post or some odd bug like that. Not sure when that will be fixed.
      Web Hosting Forum | Fastest Hosting | Backup Storage

Comment

• mark.hs
        • Dec 2016

Here is what I have tried so far:
        I tried repair and optimize tables but it did not fix the issue
        I tried running Fix Unique Indexes using the schema.php file. When I clicked the Fix Unique Indexes button it just showed me a blank screen within AdminCP with no result. I had the system in debug mode and I had the schema.php in the install folder. So I think it ran, but the problem still persists.
        In the General Update Tools I tried Rebuild Topic Info and Rebuild Forum Info, but neither fixed the issue.

I'm thinking this is a good old fashioned bug, but I hold out hope that there is still some sort of fix.. If there is something we could run or even review at the database level please let me know. For some strange reason the system thinks that first post is the last post and it never gets "unstuck", very unfortunate for all our users.

Any help or support would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
        VB 5.74
        PHP 8.2
        Maria DB 10.6

Comment

• mark.hs
          • Dec 2016

Just one other bit of info that may be helpful. On our forum our default posts per page = 20. If we merged two topics that had less than 20 post then the link to last post works just fine as long as the total posts are less than 20. However, if the merged topics had greater than 20 topics, this is when the link to last page (on the topics list page) feature does not work (it just links to the first post).

And here is the bad news, once a topic that was originally merged exceeds 20 posts, the link to last post feature stops working
          VB 5.74
          PHP 8.2
          Maria DB 10.6

Comment

• mark.hs
            • Dec 2016

I found a temporary solution until this bug can be fixed.

It is a two step process:
            step 1. Using PHPMyAdmin I changed the fields "publishdate" and "created" to be the exact same and to be a few hours before the date/time of the second post in the thread. Somehow having the first post be a newer date and time than the second post was screwing up VB5. So you need to go in the database and edit the date and time of the first post to be earlier.

step 2. You need to add a post to the thread. I dont know why this is required, but I found out that as soon as I added a brand new post, the Jump to Last link worked perfect.

Hopefully this will help others.
            VB 5.74
            PHP 8.2
            Maria DB 10.6

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

You'll need to log it as a bug in the tracker (link in navbar) so it can be looked at by the developers. The support team cannot fix bugs I'm afraid.

it may already be known, but if so they will let you know via the bug tracker.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• naszeaudio
                • Jun 2016
                • 5.2.x

We found the same in our forum since the start a year ago...
                If the first post of the topic is not older than second post links to new and last posts are broken.

Comment

• naszeaudio
                  naszeaudio commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Other problem you have (and we) is time it takes to post a post. The one above took 11seconds.
              • naszeaudio
                • Jun 2016
                • 5.2.x

Originally posted by mark.hs
                I found a temporary solution until this bug can be fixed.

It is a two step process:
                step 1. Using PHPMyAdmin I changed the fields "publishdate" and "created" to be the exact same and to be a few hours before the date/time of the second post in the thread. Somehow having the first post be a newer date and time than the second post was screwing up VB5. So you need to go in the database and edit the date and time of the first post to be earlier.

step 2. You need to add a post to the thread. I dont know why this is required, but I found out that as soon as I added a brand new post, the Jump to Last link worked perfect.

Hopefully this will help others.
                Mark,
                Could you please give me direction how to change create and publish date? I have access to PHPmyadmin, but I am not to familiar with it. Not sure where to look for those fields.

I found the node but date is in a strange format: 1471641280

/edit
                ok unix timestamp format Sorted. Thank you.
                Last edited by naszeaudio; Sat 18 Mar '17, 7:28am.

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

Just wanted to add a link to the bug here - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-13953

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

Originally posted by webgeek247

But keep in mind when using this it reports incorrect stats for topics and posts due to it calculating nodes rather than topics and post or some odd bug like that. Not sure when that will be fixed.
                    This bug:

Needs more votes to rise up the 'fix' list...
                    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment