My Forum is attacked my spammers and new users cant join the forum.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FreeGuidanceUSA
    • Oct 2016
    • 5.2.x

My Forum is attacked my spammers and new users cant join the forum.

Hi,

My forum http://freeguidanceusa.com/index.php has been full of spam post and new users are not been able to join the forum. Whenever someone wants to join it, it shows, the registrations is disabled from the admin. I have not disabled the registration.

I am also not able to stop joining the spammers. Is there any way to block them permanently and clean all the thousands of post they have already made?

Thanks

Ali
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

I checked and indeed the registration is turned off. Go to AdminCP > Settings > Options > User Registration Options and make sure Allow New User Registrations is set to Yes.

But I highly recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of vB 5.2.6. You're using an old version 5.2.2 which has security vulnerabilities unless you applied the patches.

Then I also recommend to use Recaptcha 2 which is available in vB 5.2.5 and up. I used to get spammers in my vB5 mods site too but once I used Recaptcha 2, the spammers went away (at least in my case). I also do email verification before new users can post.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• FreeGuidanceUSA
      • Oct 2016
      • 5.2.x

Thank you, It worked. I opened the registration, but I am afraid, spammers would start registering again.

Can you please provide me step by step method to upgrade, I am afraid, I would lose all the information already in the forum is I upgrade?

Thanks

Ali

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

1. Backup all files and database.

2. Download the 5.2.6 files from the members area.

3. Upload all files to your server/webspace/whatever

4. Browse to yourforumpath.com/core/install/upgrade.php.

5. Enter your customer number and the upgrade will proceed.

6. Delete the /core/install directory after the upgrade has finished.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2011
          • 5.7.X

You won't lose your data when you upgrade. You might have template merge conflicts if you or a third-party mod modified a template. In which case you just have to resolve them. Or if you have modified existing vbulletin PHP file(s), then you would lose them and you have to re-apply the changes.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment