X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • webgeek247
    • Mar 2006
    • 5.7.X

Remove Link does not work

I had member post a link using Post Link which was meant to be disabled. I clicked the 'Remove Link' but then when tried to press save it won't let me.

I notice the difference between on my forum and vbulletin is that the grey cross is missing on my forum which needs to be clicked before pressing the save button for the post to be able to be saved without the link being included. I attached a screenshot. Any idea why the grey cross is not showing?
    Web Hosting Forum | Fastest Hosting | Backup Storage
  • webgeek247
    • Mar 2006
    • 5.7.X

I forgot to the add the screenshot.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

When it's a 'Link' content type, it has to have a link present.
      Ideally you would be able to change the content type, but presently there's no way to do this.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• webgeek247
        • Mar 2006
        • 5.7.X

What I mean is a member added a link to their site which I do not want to allow. Link are allowed only in signatures after meeting the correct criteria mentioned in our forum rules.

Because I could not remove the link, I replaced the link with forums.hosting in the meantime. You can check the same at https://forums.hosting/forum/other-f...75-hi-everyone.

The button to remove the link as seen in the screenshot at https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...30#post4366130 is the reason I'm not able to delete the link.

The question is, where is that grey circled x button on our forum like it appears on the vBulletin site? If it was on our forum, then I could use it to remove the link. I explained that in great detail then so hopefully you know exactly what I mean now.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

That topic is a "Link Content" type. Therefore a link is required. If you do not want people posting links like that you need to remove the "Can Create Link" and "Can Create Video" permissions in the AdminCP under Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager or Usergroups -> Channel Permissions.

If you want to delete a Link Content Topic, you have to delete the entire topic.

The gray X button is to delete the existing link and replace it with a new link. A link is still required for that content type.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• webgeek247
            • Mar 2006
            • 5.7.X

Yes, I know how to change "Can Create Link". Just wanted to see if I could remove the link from the two posts before I did that. But thanks for mentioning how to do it in case I didn't know how to do it.

Strange how one cannot remove the link from a topic/post after it has been created. Not sure why the solution is only to delete the entire Topic. What is the reason for not adding functionality to allow Admin not to remove link from the post once it's been posted? Just curious.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by webgeek247
              Yes, I know how to change "Can Create Link". Just wanted to see if I could remove the link from the two posts before I did that. But thanks for mentioning how to do it in case I didn't know how to do it.

Strange how one cannot remove the link from a topic/post after it has been created. Not sure why the solution is only to delete the entire Topic. What is the reason for not adding functionality to allow Admin not to remove link from the post once it's been posted? Just curious.
              As I mentioned earlier, it's because there is no functionality to change the content type.

The type of post you have there is a 'link content type' and they require a link to be present.

Without the ability to change the content type to something else (like an ordinary post), you either have to have a link in it or delete it.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

The only point for that content type is to share links.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• webgeek247
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 5.7.X

Ok. But I just think if a member writes an excellent lengthy post with quality content and "shared" a link when they shouldn't have done as it's against the rules (in our case) then we'd have to remove the entire topic/post losing that quality topic-post. I think it needs to be changed so the link can be deleted from the post if needed. Otherwise, the workaround is for admin to replace the link with site URL.

This doesn't bother me because I'm going to disable "Can Create Link" now. Just providing feedback in case it might bug your other customers.

You can already add a link by clicking the "A" icon and selecting a link from there which can be used to add a link to a post and admin can also remove links that way too. Don't see the point of offering 2 different link options which pretty much do the same thing only there not being much control over one of them.

I'll disable it now. Thanks.

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

Ok. But I just think if a member writes an excellent lengthy post with quality content and "shared" a link when they shouldn't have done as it's against the rules (in our case) then we'd have to remove the entire topic/post losing that quality topic-post. I think it needs to be changed so the link can be deleted from the post if needed. Otherwise, the workaround is for admin to replace the link with site URL.
                    Where I have run into this (on this very site), I have generally replaced the link with a link to the forum itself. So in this case I link it back to www.vbulletin.com/forum.

It gets round the issue without having to delete the post entirely.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

I don't disagree with your statements. There should be a method to convert one content type to another.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment