Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meissen
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.5.x

[Bug / Issue] Forum/Channel which was hidden in vb4 is visible in vb5 after upgrade

I have administrator and moderator forums which are supposed to be hidden, but yet I just logged in using an alternative account which is just a "Registered User" and I can see the forum, view the list of all the threads, the only thing I can't do is open the threads.

This is a major security concern for my site and will cause massive amounts of drama if the members are able to see thread titles within these private forums/channels.

I went to Channel Permissions and reset the permissions for that channel, then clicked Deny All but I still see the channel listed on the main home page including the title of the thread with the last reply. The forum should be hidden from view entirely! WTF?

Please help - need this fixed ASAP!! This is completely unacceptable!
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The only way to hide a forum/channel is to set its display value to 0.

For unhidden channels, users shouldn't see them if they don't have permission to do so. Verify your permissions are correct. The Can View Channel permission should be set to No if the usergroup shouldn't be able to view it.

Make sure to clear the system cache after making large changes to the system.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• meissen
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.5.x

I cannot figure out why this is broken. I really wish I never would have upgraded to vb5, this has been a major pain in the ass.

Let's focus on the Administrator Lounge, for example...

I've performed the following steps - screenshots are attached for documentation proof, though it uploaded out of order.

1. Cleared system cache
      2. Went to Users -> pulled up my alternative user account "meissenation"
      -- Note that "meissenation" is a member of "Active Users" usergroup only.
      3. Clicked "View Channel Permissions" while editing the user and scrolled down to Administrator Lounge
      -- Note that it's "No"
      4. Open a Chrome browser in Incognito mode (I've confirmed the same results using "Edge Browser" windows 10)
      5. Login as meissenation
      6. I can still see the forums that are supposed to be hidden...

Comment

• meissen
        • Dec 2005
        • 3.5.x

Additionally, after messing with the "Deny All" and allowing my two Admin groups to Inherit Permissions, now all my new posts in the Administrator Lounge are coming across as unapproved...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

Why are you in two Admin Groups? That doesn't make sense. There is no need for that.

As for the other users, you images don't really show that things are set correctly. All "Red" tells me is that the permissions are customized. You'll need to open a support ticket.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

It's also worth noting that "hidden" and "no permission" are not the same thing.

We need to be clear about what you're trying to achieve.

A hidden forum simply doesnt show in the forum list. Anyone can still view it if they know the URL.
            No permission means that a usergroup is restricted from seeing the forum, or it's content, depending on how the permissions are set.

Also be aware that if you controlled access to any forums using Access Masks, these were removed in vB5.

As Wayne says, you'll need a support ticket so we can look at your setup.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• meissen
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.5.x

I had opened a support ticket and it was already marked as resolved saying there isn't any issues with hidden forums. I'll open a new ticket.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

You open a support ticket by emailing [email protected] or clicking the Submit Ticket link in the footer of every page. Sounds like you opened a bug report which is different.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment